We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expedia - not doing what they advertise

Sydney
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Topic
Expedia - not doing what they advertise

Expedia 'claims' to have a real time booking system.

Unfortunately, I have just booked a flight through them, only to later receive an email from them saying tickets will be confirmed within 24 hours.

This sort of non-real time booking system is unacceptable nowadays - there are several competent booking systems - I recommend people use them unless Expedia gets their act together.

Mark

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expedia - not doing what they advertise

I've always had immediate confirmation with Expedia, let us know what happens

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,883 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expedia - not doing what they advertise

FWIW, I've always gotten the same email as the OP after booking and a confirmation email shortly after. I've never experienced that it takes even close to 24 hours. It's usually gets to you within an hour and a couple of times my confirmation email even arrived before the email saying the tickets have been purchased and are awaiting confirmation.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,629 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expedia - not doing what they advertise

I just booked with them as they were a lot cheaper than KLM, their confirmation was immediate and the flight was registered on my KLM account in mins

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,966 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Expedia - not doing what they advertise

There could be any number of reasons this could occur besides Expedia not booking real time.

1. Not all airlines (especailly some LCC's) do not provide immediate confirmation.

2. There may have been a computer issue (either at Expedia, the airline or within the GDS) that prevented Expedia from getting immediate confirmation

3. Since you are booking from overseas, Expedia may not have been able to get immediate CC verification. This is the most likely cause. CC verification laws vary widely from country to country and at times require a phone call to the issueing bank. Unfortunately, this causes a delay since the calls can only be made during the banks business hours.

Edited: 28 June 2011, 15:18
Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,180 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Expedia - not doing what they advertise

I booked a domestic flight (US) directly with United last August. I got the same message, but received confirmation a few hours later. So, probably not just Expedia, and not necessarily Expedia's fault.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
20,247 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Expedia - not doing what they advertise

I've never had an issue with confirmation when using Expedia either.

But then again as per the OP's final statement he isn't telling us to avoid them. ;-)

"I recommend people use them"

7. Re: Expedia - not doing what they advertise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 August 2012, 13:26
8. Re: Expedia - not doing what they advertise

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 August 2012, 13:27
9. Re: Expedia - not doing what they advertise

Removed on: 05 September 2012, 13:25
10. Re: Expedia - not doing what they advertise

Removed on: 05 September 2012, 13:25