We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why Are Airlines So 'Soft' on Disruptive Pax

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Why Are Airlines So 'Soft' on Disruptive Pax

smh.com.au/travel/travel-incidents/peeing-dr…

let off with a warning?

u have to be joking!

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why Are Airlines So 'Soft' on Disruptive Pax

if he'd done that to me he'd have nothing left to piddle out of

darlington
Level Contributor
78 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why Are Airlines So 'Soft' on Disruptive Pax

You and me both.

The question has to be asked,why was this person allowed to purchase sufficient alcohol during the flight.

By their response Jetstar are taking the p*** out of the rest of their passengers.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why Are Airlines So 'Soft' on Disruptive Pax

When you read the article it says that Jetstar confiscated the alcohol that the man brought onboard which indicates that he was most likely drinking his duty free alcohol purchased before boarding in Auckland rather than purchasing drinks from Jetstar.

But really eeeewwwhhh!!! Some people are just disgusting.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why Are Airlines So 'Soft' on Disruptive Pax

A neighbor of ours told me that she had to line her wardrobe with plastic because her husband would ''go'' there at night [when sozzled] -

maybe this guy is a relation.

I'm not sure what a suitable sanction would be -but i don't think a warning is enough

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,506 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why Are Airlines So 'Soft' on Disruptive Pax

"Why Are Airlines So 'Soft' on Disruptive Pax"

Because as was pointed out in a thread awhile back they can't open the doors inflight to toss them out....:-)

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why Are Airlines So 'Soft' on Disruptive Pax

Let's look at the other sde of this. What are some of the most popular questions on this forum.

1. Does this airline serve free drinks?

2. What's the best time to buy my duty free (usually referring to alcohol)?

Let's not blame the airlines for everything. If people were as worried about bothering others as they seem to be about getting their booze, there might be fewer incidents such as these. It's time people started being responsible for their own behavior again. (no, I'm not anti-drinking, just anti-drunk).

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,518 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why Are Airlines So 'Soft' on Disruptive Pax

Hi,

Just from what's written-- and there's some details that are lacking that would/could give a better overall "picture" of the events-- are missing.. but speaking in general terms, we as airline have been-- for quite some time-- too complicit and unwilling to call out and deal with clearly unruly, disruptive, and non-compliant passengers..

To that end, I do think we, as a collective industry, do share some blame for not being consistent in our message and actions about what is and is not acceptable conduct on board.. and perhaps more importantly, we've not been consistent in our responses to these situations when they do happen.

Now, this doesn't mean we as airline hold all the blame for the problem-- in fact, I'd argue quite the opposite.. but I do recognize that air travel today, for the most part, is a stressful, demanding and overall less-than pleasant experience.. this starts with ticketing, to lobby check-in, security, passport/customs etc.. So, I can appreciate how and perhaps why people "act out" on on the plane..

BUT... in the end, as I've said before, as an adult I hold *YOU*, the adult wholly responsible for your conduct on the plane.. I don't accept as excuses-- the airport, the airline, security, etc. as justification or minimization of your actions.. Again, yes, all these issues don't make it any easier.. but again, as an adult I expect you to know how to address them and how to conduct yourself in a semi-public, confined, shared-use space..

I've had passengers and even some of my crew call me a "hard _ss" about proper conduct on the plane.. and to that charge I plead--- guilty.. I don't disagree with that label.. but I don't see it as being hard-- I see it as insisting that as adults we all respect the rights of everyone else on plane.. and to comply with the rules, polices and procedures..

What I don't agree with and don't accept is conduct of the few that detracts from EVERYONE else's enjoyment and who IS being compliant.. How is it fair that we, as airlines, allow these few people to either monopolize the limited crew time/resources or to diminish the quality of the ride of everyone else?

Do I remove people from the plane before departure for bad conduct? Yes... More often that I'd like.. Do I like doing it? No.. That's revenue we're turning away.. But I'm also defensive.. I DON'T wait till we're at 41,000ft to declare "we have a problem".. I remove known or suspected problems BEFORE we leave.. Yes, it's not perfect, but I can also rely on my training, years of experience and colleagues to make the best decision I can.. I'm confident that when I remove someone, I'd done so properly and for the right reasons.

Have I ever removed someone who might have been OK to travel? I'm sure I have at some point... but I don't loose sight of the realities, that unlike a car or bus, we can't just stop and let you off.. Unless we divert-- causing thousands of dollars of losses and passenger inconvenience-- we're stuck with you. and whatever conduct and behavior you're demonstrating. Therefore, due to these unique operational realities of airlines, I play "better safe, than sorry"..

This is not about making your conduct on the aircraft into a totalitarian environment that either the airline or the government control.. In large part I honestly don't think any of the carrier imposed rules or government imposed laws are overtly hard to comply with or require substantial accommodation.

But in the end, I think that as an industry if we got more consistent about immediately removing those who are problem passengers and denying them future travel and/or getting local/national law enforcement involved when appropriate, i think it would change-- slowly perhaps, but I do think the 'message' would get out.

Travel Safe,

8. Re: Why Are Airlines So 'Soft' on Disruptive Pax

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 01:17