We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best airline from San Fran to Beijing: United,Singapore,ANA

San Francisco
Level Contributor
8 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
best airline from San Fran to Beijing: United,Singapore,ANA

I want to use United miles to fly to Beijing summer 2012, and would like to hear ideas on best airline to use. thanks.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,550 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best airline from San Fran to Beijing: United,Singapore,ANA

Singapore or Asiana for the comfort and service.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best airline from San Fran to Beijing: United,Singapore,ANA

SQ by a country mile. Asiana a close second.

in comparison united dont even leave the starting gate

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,671 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best airline from San Fran to Beijing: United,Singapore,ANA

Agree with above, what cabin class will you be flying?

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best airline from San Fran to Beijing: United,Singapore,ANA

I have never flown with them, but from the excellent ratings they've always received it's no contest: Singapore Airlines.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best airline from San Fran to Beijing: United,Singapore,ANA

If you want to use miles, you may find you have no choice, because you may not be able to get award seats on these other airlines using UA FF miles.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best airline from San Fran to Beijing: United,Singapore,ANA

The only problem perhaps with Singapore Air is you'd have two stops instead of one or none.

From SFO, Singapore has flights to Seoul and Hong Kong, then to Singapore (where connecting flights to other cities start) .

Air China flies non-stop SFO-PEK but the planes are older and there are no personal audio/video screens.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
8 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best airline from San Fran to Beijing: United,Singapore,ANA

Thanks for your replies. Since Singapore Airlines is part of the Star Alliance, I think that we should be able to use our United FF miles to fly on the partner airlines, but i will need to see if that is so. Plan is to go economy, but have enough miles to do business class. We will then be flying on to Ulan Bator, Mongolia, and will need to buy tickets for that leg.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best airline from San Fran to Beijing: United,Singapore,ANA

Thanks for your replies. Since Singapore Airlines is part of the Star Alliance, I think that we should be able to use our United FF miles to fly on the partner airlines, but i will need to see if that is so. Plan is to go economy, but have enough miles to do business class

Yes, you can use your UA miles to book award seats on other *A partners, but these partners must make these seats available for use with UA miles. That doesn't always happen, and business class award tickets can be particularly difficult to get. Good luck.

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
582 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best airline from San Fran to Beijing: United,Singapore,ANA

We flew ANA SFO to BKK a few years ago and it was way better than UA. Seat back tv's, for example. If you can't get Singapore, then ANA would be fine.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
647 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best airline from San Fran to Beijing: United,Singapore,ANA

You might actually save a few hundred dollars by using your United miles with Air China all the way to Ulaanbaatar for the same number of miles as San Francisco - Beijing (because Beijing and Ulaanbaatar are in the same award zone). Although Air China is an 'average' carrier, they still slightly better than United. With United's award travel rules, they allow for one stopover, so you could actually make the most of your miles by also booking award travel (on the same ticket) for the Beijing - Ulaanbaatar - Beijing flights that are operated by Air China. What I mean is:

San Francisco - Beijing (stopover for a few days) - Ulaanbaatar - Beijing - San Francisco (all on Air China)

If you can get this all in Business Class, it would certainly be much more comfortable. One additional advantage with Air China are the nonstop flights from San Francisco vs. the one-stop or two-stop services with Asiana Airlines and Singapore Airlines. However, note that these routings are all subject to availability and in general, the earlier you book, the more inventory there is for award travel. But with Singapore Airlines, it's often difficult to secure more than one award seat (particularly on long-haul flights) because everyone wants to fly them and they're very protective of their revenue. They don't allocate *any* award seats on their long-haul aircraft however. Asiana is slightly better with inventory.

Edited: 02 July 2011, 04:06