We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Potential Virgin Atlantic Strike - Latest News

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,076 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Potential Virgin Atlantic Strike - Latest News

For those planning to travel with Virgin Atlantic in the near future see latest update from BALPA

balpa.org/News-and-campaigns/News/BALPA-IN-T…

Based on this update it looks as though any strike action is unlikely before 8th July at the earliest (if at all) as they are required to give 7 days notice of any strike action.

TomC

worthing
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Potential Virgin Atlantic Strike - Latest News

update on BALPA website now says they are having a thinky and talks reconvene on monday- this is all so stressful- not sure if my holiday with my family is going to be ruined or not...

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,076 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Potential Virgin Atlantic Strike - Latest News

The latest update from BALPA

balpa.org/News-and-campaigns/News/VIRGIN-UPD…

If strikes are to proceed these should not be before 11 July (if at all) bearing in mind the required 7 days notice.

TomC

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Potential Virgin Atlantic Strike - Latest News

I am going on holiday with my family on 15th July - I have booked this last December. I work as a doctor in the NHS and only go on holiday once a year. I do not have the luxary of changing dates as all annual leave now taken until middle September.

It is worth adding that any pay increase for doctors and nurses over the last 5 years have been below the inflation level. It is not deemed moral for doctors and nurses to strike but it seems okay for their holidays to be ruined as well.

I hope this can be resolved between both sides and hope they remember that the happiness of millions is dependent on their talks. I am having to contain my children's excitement in case we cannot go on holiday. I also have hotels booked and my travel agent will only refund the flights in case of the strike and the insurance company have claimed that this is a predicted event and so will not cover the costs either.

Please please come to an agreement!

Birmingham
Level Contributor
3 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Potential Virgin Atlantic Strike - Latest News

I am flying out to Las Vegas, LA and San Fran on 21 July 2011 for 3-weeks and have pre-booked for months i.e. hotels, sights etc. The kids are all excited and this will ruin everything.

I run and own a £8m business, and none of my workers have had an increase for 5-6 years. People have a very short memory. For us we had a significant loss post-MG Rover and then in 2007/8 the world collapsed, yet we still kept people in jobs. Our staff were sympathetic dispite increase in utilities, food etc. Virgin bosses I am sure were the same during 2007/8, and pilots & staff were still paid, despite a collapse of air-travel bookings.

The airline pilots (as good a job they do) are getting greedy and have very short memories, and businesses like Virgin have had, and are having, huge challenges e.g. ash cloud, fuel prices, competition and now strike. Sorry guys but get real !! a 4% offer is very generous (too good) and please do not ruin our well earned holiday breaks through your own self pity. As for the unions, they are just a waste of time and not really bothered about the overall business. I am sure this is what happened at MG, and look who bought them !

Edited: 04 July 2011, 14:25
Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Potential Virgin Atlantic Strike - Latest News

My heart goes out to both of you...I have a friend coming over from the UK in August and the only thing we will be out is a few theater tickets so I can't really moan about my issues after reading your posts!! But yeah, it is really not a great idea to complain about getting "only" a 4% raise when most everybody else in your country (and the world) has gotten nada for years and will continue to get nada for years to come.

worthing
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Potential Virgin Atlantic Strike - Latest News

I am a College lecturer- my pay rise this year was 0.2% !!!

I dream of 4%.

I have been striking over pensions- but this action has hardly ruined anyones lives!

An pilot air strike may well ruin my families holiday of a lifetime.

Edited: 04 July 2011, 18:29
worthing
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Potential Virgin Atlantic Strike - Latest News

I am a College lecturer- my pay rise this year was 0.2% !!!

I dream of 4%.

I have been striking over pensions- but this action has hardly ruined anyones lives!

An air strike may well ruin my families holiday of a lifetime.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,782 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Potential Virgin Atlantic Strike - Latest News

Slybeth4

Why did you book with Virgin and not BA?

Regards

Birmingham
Level Contributor
3 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Potential Virgin Atlantic Strike - Latest News

Booked with Virgin because of the strike issues with BA !

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Potential Virgin Atlantic Strike - Latest News

Bit worrying that a doctor cannot spell Luxury....I sincerely hope that he/she never writes me a prescription!

Having jested about that though, my heart goes out to all those whose hard earned holidays are spoilt through strikes.

And for the record my pay rise this year (after nill last year) was 1.2%. That's an average of 0.6 per year.