We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberia lost luggage

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
111 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Iberia lost luggage

My family and I flew back from Palma to London Heathrow via Madrid with Iberia. We arrived in London on the 13th June and are still missing one of our bags, which, according to Iberia, has not been traced.

They have advised that I can now make a claim for loss but need to have receipts for the items I am claiming! The newest item in the bag is a child's car seat that we bought at least two years ago. I don't know about others but I'm not in the habit of keeping small bits of paper for very long. I fear that without receipts they are simply going to reject my claim. Does anyone have any experience of how Iberia approach these things?

Furthermore, they lost two pieces of luggage on the outward leg but we got that back the next day. They are a total shambles.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,243 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberia lost luggage

Have you spoken to your travel insurance company as you should be covered.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
111 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberia lost luggage

Yes, I spoke to the Royal Bank of Scotland travel insurance department this morning. They advised that if I don't have receipts for the lost items they cannot process the claim! As I mentioned in my original post, the car seat is more than two years old as is the car seat bag that it is in. As for the other contents (beach towels, swimming gear etc), why on earth would I still have receipts for them?

I commented to the lady that I spoke to that, due to Iberia's incompetence, I am out of pocket for not keeping receipts for items I bought years ago. her reply was "yes, I'm afraid so, you'd better try and claim from Iberia".

What a joke.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberia lost luggage

ISTR a legal case where someone got compensation on the grounds it was unreasonable to have receipts for lots of small clothing items. May have been a small claims court or insurance ombusdman, not sure.

Contact Gill Charlton who runs the Daily telegraph travel problems section.

Did you buy the car seat on a credit card? Still got the statements? Or a website, still got the email?

Does make me think you have to take an inventory or pictures of everything you pack now :-(

( or just pack old cr*p so it doesn't matter if its lost which is probably most of the contents of my cases.)

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,455 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberia lost luggage

Hi,

It's not an entirely uncommon thing to be asked for receipts..

I will tell you- having spent some time in my airline baggage operations-- that outright false, fraudulence or other similar claims are not very common, but not unheard of.. but..

What IS rather common is for the intentional 'inflation' of a claim- be that via adding in things that weren't really in the bag, inflating the purchase price, and other similar tactics..

The fraud department guys tell me that it's like budget requests-- you ask or claim for more than you really need-- knowing you'll get cut back.. so hopefully when you're cut back, you end up with what you really wanted to begin with..

In my limited time in CBO (Central Baggage Office) operations, I was personally involved in several cases where a passenger made a claim for lost baggage-- signs our declaration of contents and loss-- mailed it back to us via US Postal Service as required (BTW, most airlines require you to mail it via USPS as filing a false claim and using the US mail to do so can also be a Federal Crime)..

BUT.....

before we paid the claim, we found the bag via the last-ditch efforts of a open-bag contents search..and when we discovered it, there was far, far less is in there than what was claimed.. We're not talking about claiming 6 pairs of socks and finding only 5.. We're talking about pretty clear cases of fraud by deception.

Now, this is NOT an assessment of YOUR claim with Iberia, but only speaks as to why airline have this policy in place... There is unfortunately a small sub-set of the population who seek to exploit the process.. and in doing so, make it harder for legitimate claims to be paid timely and with minimal paperwork.

I will say that process does leave open the appearance that the airlines do this intentionally-- to make it hard to file a claim and to minimize the payout.. but I will tell you,based only on my own experiences, by the time the matter has moved to the claims department, most all passenger 'good will' has pretty much been lost and the motivation on the part of the airline at that point is quite simply to "cut our losses where they are" and dispose of the claim without incurring further costs- hard costs or soft costs (employee time spent researching the matter)

What I find more common these days is for an airline to say that for items with a claimed value of less than X (commonly US$100) no receipt is required.. but for items over $100 you do. If you don;t have one, or can't reasonably prove your ownership, then they payout out a smaller percentage-- like 50% or so.

Most airlines I know in the US allow their claim adjudicators some discretion in the matter to look at each case and make some educated assumptions about what should or should not be in a persons bag, but unfortunately, the process does have it's paperwork component.

Travel Safe,

stourbridge
Level Contributor
1 post
242 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberia lost luggage

Surely the main issue here is that an airline should not really lose luggage in the first place and, if it does, show a bit more concern in assisting the passenger concerned, for whom missing items (in my case medication) can be more than just an inconvenience, and rectifying the error of themselves or their agents. Iberia have lost luggage of mine twice now, both on flights via Madrid, and although on both occasions they did eventually trace it and forward it on the final destination airport and thence to my hotel, their staff showed the casual indifference to the incident of people for whom this is clearly a commonplace event, and the telephone number they supplied to try to keep track of the recovery process didn't work. The upshot is of course I now make sure I carry anything essential on my person wherever and with whichever airline I fly and, from Iberia's point of view, my wife will no longer allow me to book with them. Shame for them as I love Spain and visit whenever I can.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberia lost luggage

Anyone who packs essential medication in a checked suitcase should be on medication.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberia lost luggage

Unfortunately it's the same with all airlines, I now actually have what I call a cheap wardrobe with cheap clothing that I only take on holiday and put any expensive things in my carry on luggage.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,200 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberia lost luggage

If you look at what most airlines tell you not to put in checked baggage,medication is on the list,along with cash,jewellery,cameras electrical equipment and other valuable items.Ignore this instruction at your peril.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
12 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberia lost luggage

Our baggage was left on the tarmac at Seville and didn't make it to Madrid for our connecting Emirates flight to Madrid.

None of the IB telephone numbers we were supplied work, except for Gibraltar. They told us the baggage 'may' have been put on the next day's Emirates flight, but couldnt confirm it... They really dont care!

It just confirms that I will never fly with IB again.

Did anyone get there money back?

Peter

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
111 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberia lost luggage

I claimed for the value of the lost luggage and received a cheque several months later. Now, almost seven months after the loss, I guess we'll never see the bag again!