We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air france lost luggage - any contact and compensation

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Air france lost luggage - any contact and compensation

Air France lost my luggage just from the start of my trip 5 days ago.

Saturday it was still in Paris, supposed to come with the next flight to Rio, but this was cancelled.

Since then the luggage cannot be LOCATED ANYMORE, unbelievable for me.

The hotline is neither helpful nor friendly (shouting at me and hanging up in a few cases), complaints are not answered either (sent 3 already via the web). Information was changed in a wrong way, opening hours 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. are not customer friendly, mainly busy and not reachable, just telling me "tomorrow we will have more info", same thing next day, no matches1

The tag is known, but maybe the bag lost the tag I was told. So I wonder whether anyone is checking bags w/o tags??

Was just told I need to wait - have 4 1/2 weeks of holidays left, but don´t want to call them an wait every day to have the holiday even more ruined

Have the feeling no one is looking at all as I´m not business or Premium (20 lights with KLM last year only ...) - really bad picture conveyed of an international airline not cring about "normal" passengers.

As I´m browsing the internet I find more and more complaints and wonder how to proceed - I would like a more personal and proactive contact as I´m now travelling on a daily basis between different locations.

They only allow 100 EUR emergency, but as I´m travelling different climate zones, I need warm and long stuff now as well as a bikini to do the trips I have booked already.

Any suggestions what I can do and buy? There´s no way to get any reply on the web, the hotline just says "buy what you want, you get your money back", but of course you do not get that in written.

Thanks for advice!

178 replies to this topic
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,245 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Air france lost luggage - any contact and compensation

Luggage isn't lost until it's been missing for 21 days. Until then it's delayed. It's not the airline that loses it anyway, it's the baggage handlers.

Bloomfield, New York
Level Contributor
993 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Air france lost luggage - any contact and compensation

I am guessing that when they tell someone they don't know where their luggage is, people tend to think of it as "lost"....but technically it is "delayed".

If they told you "oh, yes, ma'am, your luggage is in Paris and it will be sent here by Tuesday" -THEN I would call it delayed. When they say they don't know where it is but they are tracking it, I call it "lost".

Sorry...it just got a little annoying with all the reminders that it is "delayed". If my luggage was not with me on my vacation, I would be annoyed. Realistically, I know it could happen...and that I should plan on it....but it would still annoy me and I would want to vent....

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,578 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Air france lost luggage - any contact and compensation

Hi,

Re: 52

"it just got a little annoying with all the reminders that it is "delayed"."

Part of the reason for this delineation is that there are wholly different rukea and rights when it xomes to "delayed" as opposed to "lost" bags..

There can also be differences in what a carrier is or is not doing relative to a delayed versus lost bag case and even who/what department a passenger should be speaking with.

It's kind of like saying "direct" versus "non-stop" when describing a flight schedule.. While some may say these are the the same thing, or it's being "picky" etc, the reality is that there is a big difference and insuring you use the right terms will only help you going forward.

Travel Safe,

Bloomfield, New York
Level Contributor
993 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Air france lost luggage - any contact and compensation

Thanks, GOPBI....I know there is a difference....just feeling these people's frustration....lol It is right that people use the right terminology when dealing with the airlines and baggage handlers.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,927 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Air france lost luggage - any contact and compensation

JEM,

The way I read these terms in lay men's speak is -

"Delayed" = lost but we're looking for it

"Lost" = lost and we've given up :-)

That's why I tend to use the word "missing" as it doesn't translate directly to an airline term that you might not think entirely accurate.

Edited: 03 January 2014, 02:26
Bloomfield, New York
Level Contributor
993 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Air france lost luggage - any contact and compensation

That certainly makes sense, USBusinessTraveller!

Niagara Falls...
1 post
Save Reply
57. Re: Air france lost luggage - any contact and compensation

I just called to try to get information about my luggage and the reservation line gave me the phone # for Delta Airlines baggage services. That is complete garbage. Air France doesn't even have a baggage service customer service line. I have medication I have been off of for 3 days now and I need my bag and there is no one I can call to get it. Does anyone have an actual customer service phone # for this company????? When you click the link it says page not available.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
1 review
Save Reply
58. Re: Air france lost luggage - any contact and compensation

First things first: take your prescription to a pharmacy and have it filled.

Second: do you have any information you can enter here: http://www.worldtracer.aero/filedsp/pk.htm ?

Third: what site are you trying to access that is unavailable?

I can get this page to load: airfrance.com.au/US/en/common/guidevoyageur/…

which links to this page: airfrance.com.au/US/en/local/transverse/foot… which provides a US 1-800 number and an address for Air France Baggage Services in Altanta.

Out of curiousity, is Atlanta a Delta hub? Maybe in the US they share baggage services, that may be why you get a Delta baggage services number.

Fourth: next time keep your medication in your carry on bag (unless this was your carry on bag that's gone missing, however that would happen)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,927 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Air france lost luggage - any contact and compensation

Just to add to AussieGirl's post. Which airline did you fly on the last leg of your itinerary? If that was a domestic flight on Delta then it is Delta that you should be talking to anyway, as you always deal with the airline responsible for transporting your bags to the final destination.

And it is (as AG says) entirely possible that Delta handles baggage inquiries for Air France in the US, as they operate a joint venture for transatlantic flights.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Air france lost luggage - any contact and compensation

htoobp, where are you? If you're in the US you should be able to call your pharmacy and get them to transfer your prescription to a local pharmacy (or go to the local pharmacy and have them call). If you're in another country, you may need to see a physician to get a new prescription.

Reply to: Air france lost luggage - any contact and compensation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted