We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Air - online reservation error - no help - any ideas

connecticut
Level Contributor
341 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
United Air - online reservation error - no help - any ideas

United Customer Service,

The Scenario: I purchased a multi-city fare from United.com on 7/6/2011 flying from Houston TX (IAH) to Tucson, AZ, then flying from San Diego, CA to Washington Dulles (IAD). I realized once I had made the purchase that I made a mistake and meant to put IAD instead of IAH for my departure point. I called United customer service to let them know I had made a mistake and he said since it was within 24 hours (this was 5 minutes after the purchase) that I would not have to pay a transfer fee. He then proceeded to tell me that the difference would be $66.70. I said great and then he told me the flight that I would be taking.

The issue: I learned later that day that there was a 4 hour non-stop flight he could have put me on for $402 (each ticket) instead of the 8 hour flight he put me on for $426 (each ticket), but I brushed it off and said I would just deal with it.

More Issues: THEN, I find out two days later that the $66.70 gets charged twice on my card. I called up United and they said it was an extra $66.70 per ticket which was not what was conveyed in my phone call with customer service. That brings us to $460 per ticket! So now not only am I on the worst flight that he could have found for that day, but it’s also the most expensive flight he could have found. I can get online right now and get the exact same flights for $419 per ticket or shorter flights for even cheaper!

The result: This is unacceptable. I would prefer you just refund my money completely and let me order my tickets all over again (from United.com). I have been flying United for a while,, if not remedied soon I will be taking by business elsewhere in the future.

Shaun

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,309 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United Air - online reservation error - no help - any ideas

Typically you get email confirmation from UA within hours. You could have seen the amount charged then and do something about it still within the 24 hrs perhaps. And I guess we can't assume that agent will look for best fare and best route. You need to ask and tell him your preference

I wish you good luck

Edited: 08 July 2011, 17:06
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United Air - online reservation error - no help - any ideas

I'm somewhat mystified, have you called United to ask (politely) about changing this and they said no, or are you expecting your posted message here to make a change occur? Or are you just ranting?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,557 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United Air - online reservation error - no help - any ideas

Forgive me if I'm wrong re your case, but I find this hard to believe. Whenever I've done phone bookings with UA they have been totally precise in the charges, and repeated them over and over again, especially at the point of charging my credit card.

I would never authorize a payment unless an agent confirmed exactly what the charge would be. With UA I've never had to ask, as they've been completely up front about it.

As I said I may be wrong. And I don't want to rub it in, but this started with an error on your part.

Edited: 08 July 2011, 17:22
connecticut
Level Contributor
341 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United Air - online reservation error - no help - any ideas

No not just ranting.....trying to get someone at UA to pay attn: - they do have people they pay to read and follow up on forum complaints and yes I do expect the agent to get me the best flight/cost for my trip. Yes it was an error on my part which is exactly why I called immediately. lets face it *%&$# happens.

USBtraveler - yes I have flown UA many times in the past and have had fair results when I had issues, however, this time it seems not - you can rub it in all you please - fact is no ones perfect, but UA is getting paid to offer good customer service which was not rec'd this time ergo the post.

Thanks for the support amatrip

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,758 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United Air - online reservation error - no help - any ideas

Flight and seating inventory changes constantly. Just because there is a better flight available at a lower fare today does not mean it was available at the time you made the change. Consider yourself lucky that they made the change for just the add collect and didn't charge you a change fee. To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing in the rules that says they have to fix it at their expense if it's been less than 24 hours, that's strictly a goodwill gesture.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United Air - online reservation error - no help - any ideas

<<....trying to get someone at UA to pay attn: >>

I think contacting them directly is going to be more likely to get results, unless you have already tried and been rebuffed.

connecticut
Level Contributor
341 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United Air - online reservation error - no help - any ideas

yep been there done that Thanks

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,557 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United Air - online reservation error - no help - any ideas

What vegas-guide said.

And, when you made the change, did you not hold on and have the agent state exactly what the additional charges were, agree to them, and then get a confirmation number? Because that's what they always do; it's the rules period.

I've never ever had UA say "that'll be $66.70 (or whatever my approximate charge was), thanks and take care".

Edited: 08 July 2011, 18:09
kentucky
Level Contributor
5,789 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United Air - online reservation error - no help - any ideas

Did you not notice the different airport/city destinations (as in IAD and IAH are not even in the same state?) when you "read" your booking?

Sounds like it should be acceptable since you're the one who made the mistake.

I certainly would have verbally confirmed the amount on my card with the agent on the phone before I accepted the charges.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United Air - online reservation error - no help - any ideas

1. No one from UA is going to read your post here and respond to you

2. You made the error and you chose these flights. Why are you upset with UA, because you looked two days later and found cheaper nonstop flights? They may not even have been available when you originally booked.

3. Yes, you had 24 hours from the time you booked to change or cancel your ticket with no penalty, but you are now far outside that period. To change flights, you'll now have to pay a $150 change fee per ticket plus any difference in fare.

You are stuck now with what you have. You can only look into trying to fly standby on the flight you want, but also will cost you. See UA's webpage for details on this.