We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Student Traveling from Toronto to Vancouver

Georgetown, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Student Traveling from Toronto to Vancouver

Hi Everyone!

I am a full time student at the University of Waterloo and am needing to travel from Toronto to Vancouver at the end of August.

As a student, money is really tight and would really appreciate some advice on cheap flights out there.

I am only there for a week, and therefore I think that flying is my only option.

I was wondering if there are any Canadian airlines that offer student airfare, or that are having a promotion on cheap flights out west.

Thanks so much for your help everyone!! :)

Read more: …virtualtourist.com/…ixzz1STB0dhwD

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,530 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Student Traveling from Toronto to Vancouver

Flights are what they are - you can see everything the rest of us can. I've never heard of a student discount for airlines. You might find the occasional 5% off coupon in an Entertainment book or something, but airline discount codes are pretty rare.

matrix.itasoftware.com is about the best search engine for fares IMO. Looks like Westjet is around $700. You can drop that to $400 if you can manage ground transportation to Buffalo, and then from Seattle to Vancouver - but that would be a major hassle.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Student Traveling from Toronto to Vancouver

OP - why did you post a link to another web page where you asked the same question?

Georgetown, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Student Traveling from Toronto to Vancouver

Opps I really didn't mean to.

Someone in the other forum suggested I post the question here instead to get better answers.

Sorry about that!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
993 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Student Traveling from Toronto to Vancouver

Both Air Canada and Canadian Airlines used to have 'student stand-by' fares. But - that was in the 80's. I used to utilize them heavily..

Vancouver, BC...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Student Traveling from Toronto to Vancouver

Have a look on different airlines and their charges, that would really help you to have the best...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,404 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Student Traveling from Toronto to Vancouver

If you plan to travel at the end of next month you should book fairly soon. Not only is late August a busy time for travellers across Canada but some deeply discounted fares require 21 days (or more) advance booking.

Sign up for AC's email service as they occasionally offer discounted fares for a day or two to those customers who've given the airline an email address.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,185 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Student Traveling from Toronto to Vancouver

There is also Westjet to consider, but Toronto to Vancouver is never cheap in August. That is prime season.

Not that I recommend it but you can sometimes save $ from flying from a US city near the border (eg Buffalo) to Seattle and then taking train or bus Seattle to Vancouver...that will be one lenghty journey if you do it that way.

Edited: 18 July 2011, 19:13
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,660 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Student Traveling from Toronto to Vancouver

Here's one thing you could try...

Get over to Buffalo (or Detroit) and then fly to Seattle. You are likely able to do that cheaper... then take the bus or train up to Vancouver. You may be able to save a few dollars.

You can also check Hamilton to YVR on WestJet. It goes via Calgary.

At least those are the options I'd consider as a McMaster grad.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Student Traveling from Toronto to Vancouver

Have you tried STA Travel? Not sure about STA Canada, but here in the UK they usually offer very good deals for students. Last year I managed to buy a cheap "student price" flight LHR-BKK which was only 2/3 the popular price at that time, and it was booked only 3 days before departure.

10. Re: Student Traveling from Toronto to Vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 09:18