We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air New Zealand Premium Economy SpaceSeat

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
475 reviews
Save Topic
Air New Zealand Premium Economy SpaceSeat

A few weeks back, I posted a query regarding traveller's experiences with the newly launched Premium Economy SpaceSeat by Air New Zealand in their Boeing 777 (tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k4572641…). I can now share my experience having flown from Auckland to LAX on July 11 and from LAX to LHR on July 14.

On the first flight from Auckland to LAX, I was in the middle 2 seats with my 4yo daughter. Here are the positives:

- It is truly a spacious SEAT: wide, comfortable, and good leg space when sitting. The term SpaceSeat is very appropriate.

- Service was impeccable and it was clear that the Air NZ staff enjoyed being allocated to Prem Eco.

- Food and beverages were excellent and equivalent to some Business Class offerings.

- The A/V system was top quality with good options.

- A child can easily sleep lying down because the centre arm rests between the 2 middle seats descend to the level of a seat and they can stretch out. My daughter slept for at least 9 hours.

- The seat in front of you cannot intrude into your space.

BUT, there is one significant negative - the SpaceSeat is a seat first and foremost but extremely cramped for sleeping for anyone over 175cm tall. It is definitely not a spacious sleeping seat! The recline of the seat is limited and your legs are forced into a small, angled space under the hard shell of the seat in front of you. If you try stretching your legs into the aisle space, they will be bumped, trodden upon or hit with a trolley. It was just impossible to get comfortable and I managed just 2 hours of uncomfortable, almost painful, sleep.

On the flight from LAX to LHR, I had an aisle seat on the left hand side of the plane. All of the above applies with these additions.

- Check in was with Business Class and was exceptional at LAX T2

- I felt that I had more side support, more leg space with the seat reclined and I managed more comfortable sleep.

Thus, my advice is as follows:

- Air NZ should be applauded from trying something completely different with Premium Economy.

- If sleep is unimportant to you on a long-haul flight, you will definitely enjoy the comfort and space of the seat.

- Wait until September 1 2011, when Air NZ removes a row of Prem Eco SpaceSeats (they have clearly accepted the negative feedback on sleeping space from other travellers), which will add a few extra centimetres of space and will probably make leg space better and sleep easier.

DUS
Level Contributor
571 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air New Zealand Premium Economy SpaceSeat

Hi Mutiny,

thanks very much for spending effort, and sharing your experience with others. Hence they can find if doing some forum search.

Great review, very detailed, very helpful and nice read. Have taken it down to my KB, just in case I might need it later.

Thanks again

KK

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
797 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air New Zealand Premium Economy SpaceSeat

Mutiny,

Thanks for posting your experiences with the new PE Space seats on the 777-300. I am one who laments the retirement of the very comfortable 747s on that route.

Your comment on the food was interesting. When Air NZ first rolled out the 777-200's, the food was as good as in Business but gradually deteriorated.

Your post gives me hope for my next long haul.

Thanks,

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air New Zealand Premium Economy SpaceSeat

Hi Mutiny

Your review was great - I am flying this friday from Adelaide via Auckland to LA,......so should be interesting on how we sleep....I will be sitting with my 10 year old so atleast he should get some sleep - bit worried about my husband as he is over 6 feet tall - so dont think he is gonna be that comfortable !!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air New Zealand Premium Economy SpaceSeat

Duddu41 - did you book the space seat ("cuddle class as they refer to it here) - I thought as it is "3 seats" you had to book all 3 - but only for 2 passengers? Are you sure you just haven't got normal economy or premium economy

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air New Zealand Premium Economy SpaceSeat

RaelsC

Cuddle class is in economy class and, yes, two people book 3 seats between them.

The space seat that the OP refers to is in Premium Economy. It is revolutionary seating that has been introduced on the 777-300. There have been many complaints - hence the removal of one row of seats.

I will be flying it myself in October - not longhaul but TransTasman - and am looking forward to trying it myself.

Edited: 06 September 2011, 03:15
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air New Zealand Premium Economy SpaceSeat

Didi - sorry for the spelling of your name in my post above!!!!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air New Zealand Premium Economy SpaceSeat

Dear RaelsC

I have booked the premium economy space seats which are only 2 abreast - 2 x 2 seats by window and 2 seats in the middle......might be more comfortable as mutiny describes some seats being removed from sept 1st...I think you are talking about the skylounge where you have to book the three seats in economy - that looks good also.

Thanks

Di

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air New Zealand Premium Economy SpaceSeat

Didi

yes you are right. I only fly Air NZ when absolutely necessary so hadn't been paying much attention to their seats (except the "cuddle class" which my boss likes to book)

Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air New Zealand Premium Economy SpaceSeat

I'm 2 metres tall and tomorrow, my wife and I leave Wellington for London Heathrow via Auckland and LAX. I've booked Air NZ Premium Economy Space seats so I'll do a review on how the seats work for someone like me at the upper end of the height scale.

Wish me luck, 2 metres tall and 26 hours on a plane!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air New Zealand Premium Economy SpaceSeat

Hi

My husband is 185 cm tall and he was still quite comfortable - obviously my son and I were extremely comfortable !! We had enough room - the outside shelll doesnt move which is great cause you dont have a seat reclinging on you. The seat moves much like a reclinder...but the recline isnt as big as the normal premium economy....but have to say the whole experience was worth the money - the food, wine and service we got with air new zealand was brilliant 10/10 and we would have still been 100% more comfortable than economy !!

Edited: 08 January 2012, 01:01