We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calgary to Toronto flights when to buy ?

australia
Level Contributor
328 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Calgary to Toronto flights when to buy ?

Hi there,

I am an Australian and I am looking at flying from Calgary to Toronto on or about 20th April, 2012. Yes, I know that it is still some 9 months away but I am just wondering whether anyone can tell me whether the prices drop significantly in Jan/Feb/Mar each year ? Reason being, do I just buy the four tickets I need now and be done with it or hope for a drop that may never come. Or is the price generally the same throughout the year.

I have researched all the usual sites and it fluctuates only by a few dollars either way...... I have email alerts with airlinesetc..... seems pretty expensive in comparision to flying across USA etc.

Just wanted some local knowledge from people who use that route often etc. Both Westjet and Air Canada similar in price.

Open ended question I know but One I needed to ask....

Cheers

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,214 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calgary to Toronto flights when to buy ?

There is no rhyme or reason to pricing Toronto-Calgary, but this is what I suggest.

Sign up for Air Canadas emails (or better yet, just check their site every now and again)...every now and again they offer sales with 15% to 30% off..those sales often only last a few days (but may have validity for months and months--eg this weekend they may say 30% off all Canadian flights between now and Dec 20th, but you have to book in the next 72 hours).

AIr Canada usually does not offer "great deals" far in advance...I would say the sweetspot to start checking those fares is Mid Jan 2012--you won't get deals before then. Just use aircanada.com--for best deals be sure to check "my dates are flexible". No point using other sites for the fare because they won't be cheaper than what AC offers on its own website.

Not sure about Westjet as I don't fly them at all, but you are right AC and Westjet are the major 2 ways of getting between YYZ-YYC.

Edited: 20 July 2011, 16:02
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,265 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calgary to Toronto flights when to buy ?

Have you looked at any potential airfare differences in flying to Buffalo, rather than Toronto, and then drive up? As for predicting airfares, no idea.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,214 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calgary to Toronto flights when to buy ?

Do not recommend any travel via Buffalo to US destinations and then driving.

Closest major airport to Calgary is Great Falls Montana..you woudl be turning a 4.5 hour direct flight (Toronto-Calgary) into an 11 hour ordeal, not counting the fact you would have to drive hours to get Toronto-Buffalo, then a very long drive Great Falls-Calgary (as in 6 hours minimum)

Near as I can tell the price difference would be about $100 between the US routing and the Canadian and if you look for sale dates, you can do better.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,265 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calgary to Toronto flights when to buy ?

Just to respond to the last post, I didn't say anything about US to US, only meant to see if Calgary to Buffalo made sense. It obviously does not, and I just did a http://matrix.itasoftware.com search to confirm. Airfare is showing around $600 roundtrip. As reference, I fly Pittsburgh to Calgary regularly and I'm always in the $700's and up for those tickets. If I ever saw a fare of $600, I'd take it.

Canada
Level Contributor
634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calgary to Toronto flights when to buy ?

Westjet often has seat sales. Calgary and Toronto are main hubs and is a non-stop flight.

By signing up for their newsletter, you will get their specials in your mail.

www.westjet.com/guest/en/deals/jetmail.shtml

They also have Blue Tag Thursdays that are posted on their website between 1 and 4 pm MT. Very good deals if you can get them.

Current fare OW YYC-YYZ for April 20, 2012, is $299.00 all in.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,214 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calgary to Toronto flights when to buy ?

Sorry bk_t1bk-I misunderstood when you said fly out of Buffalo (the way Canadians do it to fly to Vancouver by going to Seattle first).

Generally Air Canada fares out of Buffalo are terrible

australia
Level Contributor
328 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calgary to Toronto flights when to buy ?

Wow.

Great replies to my question. Sounds like I either chance it by waiting for the potential savings in january, 2012 or just plonk it on the fare now. That scottsware system is great, add to my bookmarks. Just wondering is there any site that actually captures historical data. Like to know what the fare was in April 2011 as a guide and work forward from there.... then again, fuel surcharges etc only add to the fares etc.

I have 5 other segments to arrange as well :

BUF to NEW YORK ( 24.4.2012 )

WASHINGTON DC to ORLANDO ( 4.5.2012 )

ORLANDO to LAS VEGAS ( 14.5.2012 )

LAS VEGAS TO LA ( 20.5.2012 )

Southwest do direct flights ORL to VEGAS but only have pricing til jan 2012 at present.

Thank everyone so far..... greatly appreciated.

Mick @ Parraboy

8. Re: Calgary to Toronto flights when to buy ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 03:16