We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Security & Umbrellas

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Security & Umbrellas

Hi,

Are you allowed to take a large (golf style) umbrella through airport security & onto a plane?

I know the fold away type that go into hand baggage are allowed, but I would like to take a larger one, of the type that have the metal end spike on the bottom of the shaft.

Thanks.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,534 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Security & Umbrellas

There are 2 issues here although you fail to say which airline/route you are travelling.

Firstly will it be allowed through security - I could find nothing on the TSA website that prohibited it but the measures in other airports etc might be different.

The second issue is whether it is allowed by your airline and this will depend on part on their cabin baggage allowance - check with your airline.

TomC

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Security & Umbrellas

You should contact the airline and ask.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Security & Umbrellas

Many thanks for your replies - I'm waiting for the carrier to come back to me on this, which is why I thought I was try to get other travellers experiences on it if I could.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Security & Umbrellas

Knowing where you are flying from/to would also help. Different countries, different rules.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Security & Umbrellas

Travel plan is :

Dubai (Emirates) > Frankfurt (Lufthansa) > UK and return.

The umbrella would be on the Frankfurt > UK > Frankfurt leg

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Security & Umbrellas

On LH? I doubt they would allow this. IME, they are very picky about carryons. It's too big and it has that metal spike. Don't think you'll be able to do this.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick, Almeria
Level Contributor
7,026 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Security & Umbrellas

Most hotels have umbrellas you can borrow if needed. Or why not just take a folding oned?

Daydream Island...
Level Contributor
4,421 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Security & Umbrellas

Personally, I would pull you out of regular security inspection and be very interested in why you would travel with this on the route you are flying. More questions here than I want to dwell on.

Edited: 24 July 2011, 18:33
Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Security & Umbrellas

How important is this golf umbrella that you would risk being scrutinized. I would forego taking it, and like another poster suggested either just borrow one at your hotel or just pack the folding type.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,042 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Security & Umbrellas

Biggest question I have is since you're flying Dubai-Frankfurt-London, why only carry it on the Frankfurt-London-Frankfurt legs? Or have you already verified with the Dubai-Frankfurt carrier that it will be allowed?