We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage Fees?

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
645 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage Fees?

Our flight home goes from Vancouver to Newark, via Chicago. Evidently, we are on one of the very few flights that does not clear customs before we leave Vancouver. Since we have to go through customs in Chicago, we will obviously have to get our luggage, and then recheck it. When I first booked the flight, online, both segments were on United. I just received an email letting me know that my flight from Chicago to Newark is now on Continental. So, my question is, will we have to pay baggage fees twice? I would hate to think I would have to pay twice since I didn't book it as two separate flights, AND, if we had just cleared customs in Vancouver like most flights do, the luggage would have been checked all the way through.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,647 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage Fees?

United/Continental are in the process of merging and most of their flights are code shared with each other.

You should only have one set of luggage fees to pay - after clearing customs in Chicago you just drop off the bags at the transfer point.

TomC

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
645 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage Fees?

Great, thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,421 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage Fees?

If you're flying from YVR to ORD without stopping at another Canadian city en route then you will go through US border clearance at YVR; I don't know of any US-bound flights that skip the palaver of it all. It's a very well proscribed series of events from the check in desks to the final handover of one's US Customs card just before going through to the sterile airside area.

What flight numbers, both UA and CO have you booked, please?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage Fees?

Why do you think you wouldn't clear customs and immigration ot YVR?

In any case, you don't have to pay two luggage fees.

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
645 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage Fees?

I've been told there only only 3 or 4 late flights that don't clear customs in Vancouver, of which ours is one. The flight leaves YVR at 11 pm, and supposedly, the customs agents have already left.

eta: flight #519 from YVR to ORD on United

flight #1702 from ORD to EWR on Continental

Edited: 25 July 2011, 21:39
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,421 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage Fees?

I just spoke to someone at the US CBP at YVR. He claimed that there were no flights departing to the US after 2000h - hm - but when I mentioned the UA departure he then said there 'might be' preclearance available at the airport for flights departing after 2000h 'in exceptional circumstances'.

But in any event you shouldn't have to pay two checked bag fees.

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
645 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage Fees?

Wow, thanks for calling! I have to admit, though, I don't know what "in exceptional circumstances" even means. The main thing is, I don't want to pay an extra $75 or $100 because of this. It seems like most people think I won't, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

8. Re: Luggage Fees?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 07:18