We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage Allowances

Columbus, GA
Level Contributor
18 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Baggage Allowances

We will be travelling from the US to Dominica in August. We will change from American Airlines to American Eagle by Executive Airlines in San Juan for the trip to Dominica. My daughter has been told that the checked baggage allowance on the Executive Airlines flights are limited to a total of 70 lbs. This is contrary to the American Airlines/American Eagle website instructions for checked baggage. Has anyone experienced this one way or another when traveling on American Eagle/Executive Airlines in the Caribbean?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage Allowances

You can always find baggage allowances on the airline's webpage:

https:/…041208_CheckBagFee.jsp

https:/…baggageAllowance.jsp

Edited: 25 July 2011, 23:09
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage Allowances

I belive it is usually 50 lbs limit. Anything over they charge you extra. I only now this because my dad was a baggage handler for american. It might be different in the carribean though.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,528 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage Allowances

golfam13 is correct. It's only 50 lbs within the Caribbean. Over 50lbs and up to 70lbs will be $60USD.

Regards

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage Allowances

OP said 70 pounds total baggage allowance, so not really sure if they meant per bag, or the weight of all of them together. But, unless they're in first, it's 50 pounds per bag, you are correct.

Columbus, GA
Level Contributor
18 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage Allowances

I had accessed the airline website and it said 50 lb limit per bag, but the school forum my daughter was looking at had several people post that when they went to board in San Juan headed to Dominica that the American Eagle/Executive Airlines had refused all their bags if it was over 70 lbs total for all checked bags.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,343 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baggage Allowances

Hi,

"... the American Eagle/Executive Airlines had refused all their bags if it was over 70 lbs total for all checked bags..."

Not sure *exactly* what this means... the part that's not clear is the very last part, "...for all checked bags..." If this means that AA refused any ONE bag that had an INDIVIDUAL weight in excess of 70lbs, that would be correct and in keeping with their Contract of Carriage..

If this means that AA refused a passengers baggage that when COMBINED exceeded 70lbs (where no one bag was over 70lbs individually) then this would be odd.. It should have been charged excess.

There are some very minor, uniquely regional and time-period specific baggage limits that many carriers-- AA included-- impose.. The most common example is flights to/from selected Central and South American cities during what you'd call the Christmas period..

They do this as it's common to find that a substantial number of passengers on these routes and at these times, will attempt to check-in with 2 or more bags and/or bags that are at the 70lbs limit.. The issue comes into play that the aircraft might not be able to accommodate all of it.. This can be either due to an overweight situation or a space limitation.

Travel Safe,

7. Re: Baggage Allowances

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 07:15