We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Lost" suitcase..

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
894 posts
Save Topic
"Lost" suitcase..

Hello,Hiya....

Why am I asking typing now ? I dont know,I didnt know this forum was here at the time,altho I had been on TA a while.

This was last November.

Ok,

Me and my friend travelled Las Vegas-New York-Paris-Manchester ,the return journey of a 10 night holiday in Las Vegas,

The flight out of New York was delayed a few hours,we got to Paris ok and in time to make our connection for our last leg of our journey,we got home,Manchester,our luggage didnt make it.

Straight to the AF desk at the luggage carousel,he took our details,checked and the bags were still in Paris,they would be sent to our houses as soon as they got to Manchester,no problem,this has happend before and the bags arrived safely.

We were home by 9am and suffering from the long journey I went staright to bed,at 8 oclock that evening my friend phoned me and asked if my bag had been dropped off,no I said,thats funny he replied his had and he asked the courier if he had been to his friends(me) house and he said yes,

Now I am worried...really worried,courier said hed dropped my bag off,nothing here...I was so tired I just went to sleep and would phone them in the morning.

Tried to ring AF at Manchester and was put through to AF in France...he confirmed my bag had been delivered,it hadnt,I told him it wasnt here ,he will ring me back he said,5 hours nothing,so Im on the phone again.....its been delivered he insisted,I asked for the prooof of delivery,the signature on the PDA...he would look into it.2 hours later,around 7pm,there is a knock on my door,a young(18yold) girl is,Are you xxxxx xxxxx ,yes I replied,you dont look like a courier,shes not she said,she had just got home from work and found a case in her front garden with my name on it,its in the car....I ran down the stairs,ran out to her car,she opened the boot and there was my case,she lifted it out 1 handed,my heart sank...it was empty,all that was left was 1,yes 1 pair of socks.

I was virtually in tears,saved for 8 months for a now long forgotten holiday of a lifetime.

What was I to do,AF customer services was now closed,I would have to wait for the morning,I was angry,sad,confused

My suitcase had been brought to me by a member of the public empty,found her in her garden,what ?

1st thing the following morning I was on to AF .....explaining what had happend,ridiculous...anyway,I was just told to fill a form out online,I wasnt happy ,I wanted explainations....I wanted to speak to someone other than a telephone appologist..no the only recourse I had was to fill a form in online with what was in the case.

I was at my wits end,unbelievable....

anyway,I fill a form in online...7 days later 280 pound appears in my bank account,no letter,no apology,280 pound just dumped in my bank acc.....280 ??? what...I didnt know what to do,I visited the citizen advice and the lovely lady put me in touch with the air users council,I spoke to a nice gent on the phone and he just laughed ,I sent them all the documentation between me and AF,he told me to relax and let them sort it out,I was so grateful,I didnt know where to turn ...they have been in touch with AF on my behalf and Im to hear from them,this is 4 months ago now(ash cloud slowing auc down)

Still nothing.

I got back in touch with the AUC last week and they were dismayed that AF hadnt contacted me...they are going to contact them personally on my behalf.

I just wonder if anyone has any experience of anything like this.it is quite unbeliveable,a member of the public returns an empty suitcase,found dumped in their garden.

Do you think 280 quid is reasonable for the trouble they have caist me,my clothing alone was more than 500 but of course I didnt have receipts.

Please excuse any typos and bad grammar,thank you for reading

Cheers,

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Lost" suitcase..

Travel insurance, although given the timeframe.....

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
894 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: "Lost" suitcase..

I have missed a lot of conversations out with the AF helpdesk prior to any dealings with the AUC for ease of explaination.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
894 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: "Lost" suitcase..

Speedbird hello,I consulted my insurance company immediately but was told it was ultimately the Airlines resposibility to return my luggage and they would only be culpable for a certain amount,it was confusing me,

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Lost" suitcase..

I dont think that was enough money. I'd guess maybe DOUBLE that considering their agent (the courier) was so very, very stupid.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
894 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: "Lost" suitcase..

Ive come to the conclusion the courier took the bag to the wrong house.

Did not get a signature .If he did the airline would be able to produce it(if they would talk to me) and go from there.

The airlines complete disregard for me has left me bewildered.

Thanks Karen

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Lost" suitcase..

Do you think 280 quid is reasonable for the trouble they have caist me,my clothing alone was more than 500 but of course I didnt have receipts.

Doesn't matter what anyone thinks. AF is required to comply with their Contract of Carriage, which they entered into with you when you made your ticket purchase. It appears you have not received the compensation to which you are entitled.

Lots of info on Flyertalk.com about this issue:

flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plu…

From AF webpage:

airfrance.co.uk/GB/…higher-limits-for-baggage

Here's someone who got their bag back, but received 500 Euros:

…nytimes.com/2007/02/25/travel/25qna.1.html

Edited: 31 July 2011, 17:22
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
894 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: "Lost" suitcase..

Gracie,thank you v much

I guess thats why I came bothering you guys,

GL to you,thanks

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,731 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Lost" suitcase..

Unbelivable, and the fact that you are still waiting for them to "settle to your satisfaction" is disgraceful, just putting some money into your account is not on, they need to be corresponding with you, apologizing and providing you with acceptable compensation. The way they delivered your case to the wrong address is neglicence in itself

Hopefully the AUC will sort this out, let us know how you get on. Good Luck

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,671 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Lost" suitcase..

Hi,

I find it a little odd that they'd just deposit a sum into your account.. Normally when an airline 'settles' with you, you need to sign a release.. In effect stating that for XXXX monetary compensation you release the airline, their agents, etc from any further liability.

So I would think it would be odd if that 280 was in effect their full and final settlement.. again, because when they settle there's usually some form a paperwork to be signed or completed.

The other thing, with baggage issues, that's actually one of the few things that is almost universally defined as to what is the maximum level of compensation due a passenger for *lost* bags.. That's commonly spelled out in one of the two international aviation agreements, or local/regional consumer law..

Therefore, aside from the issue of determine for fact what was or was not inside and the bags weight (which in many cases, drives the compensation amount) there's not a whole lot regarding lost bags and the compensation level that's random or discretionary.. In most all cases it's something that's directly addressed by CoC, convention or local/regional law, therefore there should be nominal guess work.

Travel Safe,

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
894 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: "Lost" suitcase..

Thanks for the replies guys.I dont get on here everyday,so please dont think me ignorant.

GOPBI,yes,thats exactly what happend,I didnt sign nor agree to anything,it was just credited to my bank account ...I only noticed cause I was checking if a direct debit had gone out.They have your bank details because when you fill in an online claim it asks for them(I think,its a long time ago now)

The gent I spoke to at the AUC said the same as you,I asked him ...what about the 280(dont know how to use a pound key,sorry) and he said,his words.. "spend it,it is a gift,they shouldnt have done that".

Naughtybutnice(I like that name ha)... yes,they did not and do not correspond with me at all,I had to be ringing Paris up to speak to some helpdesk robot who spiels the same pre arranged answers to you constantly...waste of time to be honest.

I will definately let you know what(if anything) happens cause I have nearly given up,I think this is quite unusual...I was genuinely interested if anyone else had something so ludicrous happen to them.

I should of contacted watchdog.

GL