We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Flight Route to New Zealand for Anxious Traveller

NYK
London
6 posts
Save Topic
Best Flight Route to New Zealand for Anxious Traveller

Hi All,

I'm planning a one way trip to NZ for a Anxiouz Traveller. Can anyone recommend the best route to take. There is no time limit so it can take as long as possible. Also looking into the possibility of flying business class and not aiming to spend more than £2700 each.

What airline would you recommend?

Thanks

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Flight Route to New Zealand for Anxious Traveller

What is the anxiety about? flying itself or airports/transit ?

Emirates would be my choice. A380 in business class can't be beaten IMO. You can go on the A380 all the way to NZ if you are going to Auckland with transit at Dubai and Sydney. We went to Christchurch earlier this year MAN/DXB then DXB/SYD on the A380 and were on a 777/300 from Sydney to Christchurch, but it was still a very good experience.

I've also flown Air New Zealand, they are very good too.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,311 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Flight Route to New Zealand for Anxious Traveller

I would recommend either LHR-DXB-AKL on Emirates or LHR-LAX-AKL with Air New Zealand. Both are excellent airlines, so pick the one with the lowest price. If you haven't been on the A380 as yet, Emirates would be nice.

Regards

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,286 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Flight Route to New Zealand for Anxious Traveller

And another choice would be London-Bangkok-Auckland with Thai,possibly with a stopover in Bangkok.Business class is excellent with Thai,although the inflight entertainment is a little dated.

I bet you get lots more suggestions,good luck.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
811 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Flight Route to New Zealand for Anxious Traveller

I always go with Air New Zealand which has direct flights via LA or Hong Kong. There is only a short stopover to re fuel.

If you go Emirates you will have three flights which is a pain over that distance and connections with other airlines take a lot longer. You'll have less jet lag flying direct.

London, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Flight Route to New Zealand for Anxious Traveller

The shortest most direct routes are:

London-Hong Kong-Auckland - Air NZ or Cathay Pacific

London-Singapore-Auckland - Singapore AIrlines

London-Seoul-Auckland - Korean Air

London-Los Angeles-Auckland - Air NZ

London-Kuala Lumpur-Auckland - Malaysian

London-Bangkok-Auckland - Thai

The cheapest business classes will tend to be Thai, Korean or Malaysian. I wouldn't pick Emirates because it is two stops (as is any Qantas/BA options), and the seating can be inconsistent.

The best of those options to transit are Hong Kong, Singapore, Seoul and Kuala Lumpur.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Flight Route to New Zealand for Anxious Traveller

We always fly AirNZ via Hong Kong. HK is a great place for a stopover too.

Scott, it's a small world. I recognise your photo from when I log on to my husband's facebook account to play a certain FB game (Nick S).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Flight Route to New Zealand for Anxious Traveller

I'm an axious traveller as well (and I travel a lot) - and don't like long flights. I have done the Singapore airlines one stop and hated it. I use emirates and do:

Auckland/Melbourne (overnight) or Brisbane (3 hours)

Melbourne/Singapore (2 hour stop-over)

Singapore/Dubai (2 hour stop-over)

Dubai - Europe

This means the longest flight is no more than 8 hours.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,640 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Flight Route to New Zealand for Anxious Traveller

I absolutely hate flying but it's the only practical way to travel. My suggestion is to go with the minimum number of stop overs. There are more option for 2 leg flights if you arrive in Auckland but if you want to arrive or leave from Christchurch (south Island) then you are limited to SIA (which allows into AKL or CHC or 1 of each) or the lcc Air Asia X premium via KL.

I have tried via SIA, LAX and HK, I do not know if it was a fluke but there was a lot less turbulence on the flights Hong Kong to Europe each way than any other option. I wondered if it was because we flew over land? They never put the "seat belt" sign on once either way. I'm not an expert and this may have been an aberation.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,496 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Flight Route to New Zealand for Anxious Traveller

No way would I put an anxious traveler on a flight through LAX.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
946 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Flight Route to New Zealand for Anxious Traveller

SQ has a fantastic business class product and Changi is a very easy and pleasant transfer. Singapore Airlines gets my vote.