We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning to Oz air travellers!

Bunbury
Level Contributor
6 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Warning to Oz air travellers!

After experiencing a flight from Hell yesterday, I would like to warn fellow Aussie air travellers of the pit falls of booking flights with Qantas that may include a codeshare with budget airline Jetstar.

You may well pay top dollar for a codeshare flight leg (eg JQ.....) but things can go horribly wrong when you get to the departure lounge!

Six of us had booked Per-Melb return that included flight JQ968 as the return leg. Per -Melb in an aging Qantas 767 was quite ok but when I tried to do an on-line checkin for the return, Qantas would not access the JQ flight and Jetstar would not recognise the Qantas Booking Number!!!

Confused? Yep so were we!!!!

So we rocked up at the airport and managed (after using name and flight number at the kiosk) to get our boarding passes and luggage tags!

Then went to board the aircraft to find a newish A320 that had 30 rows of 6 seats across a single aisle cabin and the shortest seat pitch of any plane I have ever seen. We nearly 5 hours sqaushed into what is a short haul commuter aircraft flying into horredous headwinds across Australia, with no entertainment, no comforts and limited service and were finally dumped onto the tarmac in the rain - no aerobridge!!!!

If you pay budget fares you don't mind getting budget service, but when you a top fare you expect a decent aircraft with a decent service!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning to Oz air travellers!

Well of course you had different confirmation numbers for each airline. That's no different than anyone else. You have to call the airline you booked with to get the other booking number.

All the A320s I've been on with any airline have one aisle and in economy seating is three across. The seat pitch on a Jetstar A320 is only 28 inches, and this is clearly found on their webpage. Agree, that's very tight.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning to Oz air travellers!

"Well of course you had different confirmation numbers for each airline"

qantas and jetstar are the same airline.

when booking qantas flights sometimes u r automatically assigned a jetstar flight.

the companyy should get its act together.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning to Oz air travellers!

I booked a ticket that used ba qantas and jetconnect and the booking nr worked for all flights. I've never had to call them.

I flew jetstar too and had no problems. I'm short though.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning to Oz air travellers!

When booking, QF do indicate when it's a codeshare flight.

Why do so many Australian rants begin with something like "just a warning for aussies"... is nationality or perverse parochialism required?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,128 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning to Oz air travellers!

Why do so many Australian rants begin with something like "just a warning for aussies"... is nationality or perverse parochialism required?

Maybe because everyone outside Australia is smart enough to figure it out...;)

*ducks*

6. Re: Warning to Oz air travellers!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 15:16