We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aegean airlines with a Olympic air connection.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Aegean airlines with a Olympic air connection.

Anyone done a AA-OA connection …..can you tell me if your luggage was checked straight through…..

Booked flights on one ticket for…. AA LHR-ATH then a connection with OA ATH-JNX(naxos) Been told by the broker E-bookers and AA that our luggage will be checked straight through from LHR to JNX………little concerned because AA & OA aren’t codeshare partners.

Grateful for any info Thanks

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,010 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aegean airlines with a Olympic air connection.

Luggage might be checked through regardless. I've done similar trips in the past (through tickets involving connections between non-codeshare airlines) and had luggage checked through all the way. Not sure what you're worried about if AA has already confirmed that this is so.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Aegean airlines with a Olympic air connection.

In June I flew from Kalamata to Athens on a Aegean domestic flight to connect with a BA flight to Heathrow .Separate tickets, no code share.

The Kalamata Aegean check in desk offered to route my luggage through to London, which they did; I mentioned this to BA at Athens , no problems and I was reunited with my case at Heathrow.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aegean airlines with a Olympic air connection.

Aegean Airlines is in the Star Alliance which feature 27 members-Olympic Air isn’t one!….reasons for my concern..

a) might have been given the wrong information &

b) after the failed AA/OA merger these two airlines are rivals…….

so to try and put my mind at rest I asked the question.

Thanks

Edited: 10 August 2011, 19:17
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,781 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aegean airlines with a Olympic air connection.

I waited until my husband came home to confirm, but unless we flew Olympic with Olympic connections, we always had to pick our bags in Athens - clear passport and customs and recheck with Olympic or Agean.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aegean airlines with a Olympic air connection.

rebecca,

Did you have flights on one ticket or separate for each airline?

Thanks

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,781 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aegean airlines with a Olympic air connection.

Separate, unless both connections with Olympic.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aegean airlines with a Olympic air connection.

Rebecca,

Thanks,.

I can only assume that’s the reason the luggage didn’t get checked straight through…..I’m also assuming that if a AA connects to a OA flight on one single ticket the luggage will be checked straight through….anyone know if that assumption is right?

Thanks

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Aegean airlines with a Olympic air connection.

As I mentioned above, BA and Aegean don't code share; BA isn't part of Star Alliance, but my baggage was still routed through to Heathrow.

If on the other hand, you want to just look after the bag yourself, after you've been bussed from your plane at Athens to the terminus , it's probably a fifteen wait for your luggage before you walk or take the lift upstairs to departures to check in.

If you haven't been there before Athens Airport is very efficient and user friendly, as ,in my experience ,are ,Aegean and Olympic.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aegean airlines with a Olympic air connection.

The issue is....return journey is only a short layover hence my concern....outward journey isn't a problem with a 4 hour layover....how far is international gates to domestic gates.....arrivals downstairs?....departure upstairs??.....plenty of good signage??

Thanks

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Aegean airlines with a Olympic air connection.

Arrivals downstairs, departure upstairs, a minute on lift or stairs.

Departures is just one long hall . From one end of the check in desks to the other can't be more than 5/6 minutes.

From check in (if you don't want duty free) through security to the boarding gates , again a few minutes.

Time wise If you're allowed to check in , you shouldn't have any problem getting to your gate.

Strange system, but duty free is land side of security.