We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uk to US multi Trip

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Uk to US multi Trip

Good Morning,

We are busy planning our wedding budget for next year and we want to put the honeymoon costs into it. We are hopefully going to Vegas and New York.

We are finding it difficult to budget for the honeymoon, especially for the flights as it's hard to find the best deal, especially when are dates aren't available yet (late Aug 2012).

I have found prices in May off Travelocity from Manchester, to Vegas, Vegas to New York and then New York back to Manchester for around £1480.

So one of 2 questions are, would that sound about right to put in the budget? We are trying to be as prudent as possible.

Question 2 is, when would be the best time to book? Do you think we will get the best deals as soon as they come available (we are guessing around the end of September to middle of October)? Perhaps the Jan sales or just keep checking every day and grab the cheapest?

I appreciate there are a lot of questions there, so any advice would be greatly received.

Many thanks!!

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,257 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Uk to US multi Trip

Chaddy

I assume your talking base economy fares and the price given is per person?

If so I think that's fine to budget on as it looks a bit steep to me. I've done multi stop to and from Alaska with US carriers for less than£700 pp before and other options are open jaws with BA or Virgin and book the internal separately.

This far out I'd wait for a sale but if you see price you think is ok, then book it for peace of mind and stop looking!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uk to US multi Trip

Thanks Valian.

Yes, I meant based on two people at economy fares.

Last time we did this trip, we went into Thomas Cook and book everything through them. However, this time I fancy booking the hotels directly. Would you advise booking the flights through the travel agents or stick to online?

Also, would you be kind enough to explain what open jaws are?

Thanks again!

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,257 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Uk to US multi Trip

Chaddy.

My experience on this kind of trip is I usually get beter value booking direct with the hotels and airlines and I would always price that option even if I booked with an agent, if only to give me some knowledge and bargaining power.

Open jaws tickets are where you fly into one location and backfrom another as long as your point of origin and return is the same, so flying Heathrow to Vegas and new York to Heathrow with the same airline on one ticket would be open jaws.

Edited: 13 August 2011, 11:22
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uk to US multi Trip

chaddy

My view is that £740 per person is a little on the high side and I would wait before booking.

When I'm ready to book I searched on a daily basis on kayak.co.uk to see what fares are available and how they are moving in price terms and book when I see a price I'm happy to pay.

I always book flights/hotels etc independently to make sure I get exactly what I want but if decide to go down this route you need to make sure you have proper insurance cover.

If your flight was cancelled for any reason (e.g. ash cloud issues) then the airline would not be responsible for any associated hotel costs - you need "independent traveller" cover that is available from a variety of insurers.

TomC

uk
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uk to US multi Trip

I agree with Tom that your budget may be a little high, my guess would be less than £500pp for the open jaw MAN-NYC LAS-MAN and then £100pp NYC to LAS.

On booking websites, open jaw tickets are called multi-city trips.

Tom's advice is good, keep watching the prices and when you see a price you're happy with, grab it.

I always book independently, but good insurance is important. Another advantage is that most hotels will only ask for a credit card to hold the booking, you pay on departure so you hold onto your cash for longer and you can often cancel at very short notice so if you find a better option you can switch.

Happy planning, I love NYC and Vegas is a lot of fun, great choices.

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uk to US multi Trip

It's worth trying Kayak for several permutations of your trip to see what fares come up. For example, man-Las-NYC-man or man-las and NYC-man (and vice versa) and look for a seperate flight between inernally between the cities in the middle of your trip, or man-NYC-man, and look for seperate flights two way between the two cities. My personal view if you choose this, it would be better to stay in NYC first and then fly to las. This is because a lot of flights back to the uk from NYC depart late evening, giving you plenty of time to get from las, but leave at least four inbetween flights and, I know this sounds obvious, do check the flight from lad goes to the same airport in NYC as your departing flight back to the Uk. 4 hours might seem a long time, but when you factor in changing terminals, building in a buffer for delays (quite common to get stuck circling an NYC airport when air traffic is busy), rcollexting and re-checking luggage etc.

I normally try and get all the way to my first destination on one tricket, then all the way home from my last destination on one ticket and then book the middle hops seperately.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Uk to US multi Trip

The best deals for September/October flights from US to UK usually come around May; I am hoping the same would apply the other way around. US Airways - if you sign up --- might let you do a through ticket (i.e. with stopovers) which might be better than Open Jaw. On Expedia, you can check the flights now, then sign up for better deals (when the fares will drop), similarly Travelocity & probably UK websites as well....

My UK friends often sign up for Air Canada specials; you fly via Toronto - but I am not sure if you are interested.... Also American Airlines which do not give their flights to Expedia, etc. also have a sign up option, could try that....

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Uk to US multi Trip

Thanks for all your responses.

I've noted them down and going to try a few different scenarios.

Glad to see that most of you think we have over budgeted! Means we can lose more money in Vegas! ;-)

Thanks again!

9. Re: Uk to US multi Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 04:16