We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food in checked baggage

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Food in checked baggage

We will be travelling with 4 kids and I would like to purchase some snacks, breakfast cereal etc on our Arrival in San Francisco. We will only be there a couple of days before flying to New York and 5 days later to Las Vegas. Is it ok to pack that sort of food into our checked baggage and is there a limit? I don't want to carry heaps but don't want to have to throw it out either.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food in checked baggage

As long is there is no liquid over 100ml involved, it's fine.... the only limitation would be based on the weight imposed on you by your airline.

Regards

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food in checked baggage

there are no security liquid restrictions for checked in bags.

weight is the only possible one and i dont think corn flakes weigh that much.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food in checked baggage

I thought this would be the case, thanks :)

What about for carry on luggage? I know the liquid restrictions but what about for a packet of chips, sandwiches, fresh fruit etc? I have read a few conflicting things.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food in checked baggage

Angela214

Just a clarification, in my response I was referring to hand luggage. My apologies, I misread.

Regards

Edited: 15 August 2011, 01:20
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food in checked baggage

nope, no probs with some of the stuff u mention. some destinations might have a quarantine issue with fresh fruit. sorry, dont know the ins and outs of this in the usa. think bringing in fruit from sydney to mildura for instance.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,165 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food in checked baggage

Back when we could check 2 bags for free, I used to take an extra duffle bag with me when we went skiing with just food for the kitchen. It actually stayed cold enough that I could take perishable things like cream cheese for our bagels. Of course that was in winter.

We always take food in our carry ons for the plane on domestic flights. (Actually we do it on int'l ones too, but then you have to throw a lot of things out before customs if you haven't eaten them yet.) I have taken chips, sandwiches, and fruit among other things. I usually take a gallon size ziplock bag for the trash. I actually take a bunch of them as they always come in handy for something, but I make sure to have one for the trash (sandwich wrappers, banana peels, apple cores, etc.) and I have never had a problem. We buy water after security and take it too.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food in checked baggage

Australia has strict policies for fruit so that is why I wondered about the States. Might be best if I give the fruit a miss but you think 'dry foods' should be ok. What about sandwiches because they are not in a sealed packet?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food in checked baggage

dry foods definitely ok. sandwiches should be fine too.

they are not a liquid or a gel and i dont think they can be considered dangerous weapons (unless containing vegemite).

but sometimes u have to think the TSA make up rules as they go along so u never really know (joke....maybe)

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,430 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food in checked baggage

I dont wish to cause offence, but I am sometimes baffled by questions like this. Why would you want to transport foodtuffs which are widely available in the country you are visiting, halfway round the world ?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food in checked baggage

"halfway round the world ?"

is ca-ny-az really half way round the world?