We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difference between Thompson Airways and other airlines?

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
310 reviews
Save Topic
Difference between Thompson Airways and other airlines?

Hi, I am going on holiday shortly with Thompson Airways. I've never been on a package holiday before so have never used their airline. Just wondering what to expect? I've been on long haul with Emirates, BA, KLM, Qatar, Air France etc and been on easyjet a few times as well and there are some difference such as having to buy food/drinks on easyjet etcand also differences in what is available. Just wondering what to expect with Thompson?

Do you get allocated a seat (even if you don't pay extra in advance to reserve one) or is it an easyjet scrum at the gate?

What happens with food/drinks? We were offered a meal at £15 each but for flight during the night didn't seem worth it. Will they have things available (do we buy them or are they included in the flight price?) if we wanted them?

What is inflight entertainment like? Is there any? Is it any good?

Anything else that maybe unique to Thompson or this type of package type deal that I might be missing?

Thanks in advance - I just don't want to get caught out as you do hear some horror story's from the package holidays about their airlines.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
32,763 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Difference between Thompson Airways and other airlines?

You will be allocated a seat. This is done the day before the flight and you will be given the numbers at check in. If you haven't paid to select seats you are not guaranteed to be sat together. You can buy snacks and drinks on board (nothing included in the price). You don't say where you are going but inflight entertainment varies. If will probably be via drop down screens.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,591 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Difference between Thompson Airways and other airlines?

You may also find that the seat pitch on Thompsons is less than that you've previously experienced but this will depend on which aircraft you are on.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,510 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Difference between Thompson Airways and other airlines?

Yes in general the seat pitch is less than the full service carriers and the service on-board is more relaxed...

uk
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Difference between Thompson Airways and other airlines?

Only flown Thompson once about 18 months ago.

Seat pitch very tight and not at all impressed by cabin crew.

Most annoying thing to me was that they prepared the cabin for landing a full hour before we actually landed. Seat back up, in flight entertainment off, blankets collected etc far too early IMO.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Difference between Thompson Airways and other airlines?

Thompson are in their own words a low cost airline better than say Ryanair or Thomas cook. They do provide snacks and drinks but if you are not taking their meals better to buy before you go as they are cheaper there . i fly several times a year with this airline usually about three or four hour flights to Madeira and Naples.They are better than cooks not that much but compared to say B,A not in the same league.Cant say how they are long haul . Going to Madeira in late sept with Cooks all going well the crews on both are generally okay but prefer Thomson. I would say dont except too much but they are i would say just okay.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Difference between Thompson Airways and other airlines?

"far too early IMO."

Unfortunately your opinion has no bearing on the turnaround time of Thomson's flights.

If you want a different product, pay for a scheduled airline not a loco charter.

uk
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Difference between Thompson Airways and other airlines?

Unfortunately your opinion has no bearing on the turnaround time of Thomson's flights.

If you want a different product, pay for a scheduled airline not a loco charter.

--------------------------------

The OP was asking for opinions, I gave mine.

Also, would not chose to fly this carrier again and have recently paid extra for scheduled flights because I admit, the low cost model doesn't fit the way I like to travel.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Difference between Thompson Airways and other airlines?

Not a comfortable way to fly as a passenger on short-haul.Short-haul legroom is minimal and if you do want to use the pulldown meal tray it is a jigsaw puzzle getting sorted.Time was when flying with Thomson was well above average.Now it is just along with the worst of the rest.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Difference between Thompson Airways and other airlines?

You don’t say if your holiday flight will be short or long haul……short haul as others have said the seat pitch (28“)is poor and depending on type of aircraft so is the tv/entertainment …Long haul is totally different, from my experience excellent….with economy seat pitch 33”(more room than most schedule planes) and premium/e 37” seat pitch TV/entertainment is superb with individual TV screens with various channels ie film/games-interactive with others on plane etc…food being the only let down. Last year our Holiday to Thasos (3hr) we had an aircraft with the same set up as a long haul 33”(no 37”P/E) which made the journey great…In June we took an 6hr flight to Egypt and the aircraft was a terrible 28” jobby - not recommended .

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Difference between Thompson Airways and other airlines?

Anything under 6 hours will be short haul, with not alot of legroom. Even there Boeing 757 is cramped. There awaiting the 787 so there fleet is on the old side. No seatback in flight entertainment either