We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaysia Airline

chigwell, essex. uk
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Malaysia Airline

Flying from London to Phuket via Kuala Lumpar with Malaysia Airlines. We are flying in economy class.

What can we expect with regards to food. Is there an international option or will it be just Asian food. Are the drinks complimentary in this class.

I believe the seat pitch is 34" even for economy? Any views or information that you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lorraine (first timer to Thailand)

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaysia Airline

yes drinks are included in the price of your ticket. don't expect too much though...

food is edible. sometimes even quite good. the asian option is usually more succesful than the other things, but there is a choice. sadly, the choices often run out....

whatever time flight you are on, in either direction, it will be treated as a night flight, with a main meal served around 2 hours in, then cabin lights are dimmed and the f.a.s become not so visible. they do make occasional passes with water and juice. you can go to the galley and ask for a drink if you wish.

entertainment is reasonable with plenty of movies and music options.

not as good [in my opinion] as singapore airlines, but they get you there reasonably comfortably. and yes, 34 in seat pitch. the seats in the centre block seem more roomy than those on the outsides for some reason.

pam

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,661 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaysia Airline

Hi,

I've MH a number of times, both long-haul and regionally. I think you'll like them.

If you're on their 22:00 (MH1) departure, then naturally it will be handled as a night flight.. Their AM flight at 12:00 (MH3) won't be materially different..

As noted, main meal service is scripted to start at about :90 or so after take-off.. After main meal service to crew does start to rotate to crew rest-- which is in part why the staffing level drops in the cabin-- but they do make rounds with beverages at least every hour, but are always available upon request.. I've personally never found that there's been an overt lack of FA availability in this aspect.

Food I've always found to be rather good-- both in terms of quantity and quality..but food is hugely subjective.. What I define as good, might be wholly unacceptable to you, and vice-versa.. Naturally, as an Asia-based carrier they meal selection will mirror this fact, but as common across most all international carriers, they'll have some form of western/international meal entree selection.. Where you sit does impact your selections as they, like almost all carriers, doesn't board meal choices to 100% for each selection.

I do prefer their newer B777's over their older B744's but neither I would call uncomfortable. 34in put them squarely in the middle to upper-middle range for seat pitch.. I've not found any one area of seats to be more or less spacious than others, but again, there's some subjectivity built into that.

I do agree that there's better out there.. as Asia is home to a very large percentage of what most people call the best airlines in the world.. but that said, I think you could have done far, far worse.. I think MH is a solid carrier and that the odds are very favorable that you'd have a good ride with them.

Travel Safe,

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaysia Airline

I agree with the others. You could certainly do worse than fly with MH!

I'm vegetarian and always pre-order the Indian Vegetarian meal. Never been disappointed-- it's airline food, but it's good. As GOPBI said, 'good food' is subjective, however!

They display the menu on the individual TV screens, so you have an idea of what to expect (and request) before the meal cart comes around.

The seats are really comfortable and the 34" pitch is roomy.

Flights to Thailand will be on B737 (only 2hr flight) -- they have recently acquired some new B737-800 but not sure if they use these on Thailand routes? On older B737 there is no entertainment , unlike long-haul on B777 or 747. I've had great experiences with professional and bubbly crew on MH.

Have a great flight!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaysia Airline

No problems with Malaysian, have a good flight.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaysia Airline

I've flown LHR-KUL on both MH1 and MH3 with an MH1 just recently in June. I think MH has been doing this route very well: cabin, seat, crew and food were all just good. The older B747s and entertainment system weren't exactly my favourite but that doesn't matter.

I think MH is still a little behind Singapore Airlines and Thai Airways for flights from LHR to the region, but the gap is not that great.

I've never done KUL-HKT but as it's a short flight you don't have to expect too much to be honest.

Chipping Norton...
Level Contributor
544 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaysia Airline

Thanks for reassuring comments above. We're flying MH from LHR to Bali via KL in April next year in economy. (It was a significantly cheaper option than other airlines.) We hoped this wasn't a bad decision - but from everything posted here, sounds as though we should be ok!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaysia Airline

It's true that MH can usually work out very good value. Its price is normally cheaper than those mentioned above.

chigwell, essex. uk
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaysia Airline

As I mentioned in my original post, we are flying economy class. We have only 20K luggage allowance.

I was hoping to be able to purchase a few kilo's extra allowance, for the return flights (lots of souvenir shopping).

Having searched their website it seems I can pay extra to take all sorts of things from golf bags, travel cots, to surf and boogie boards, but cannot see an extra luggage allowance in kilo's.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Other than that I can't work out what the charges would be per kilo if any extra weight was classed as "excess baggage" on our return. Very confusing pricing system.

Thanks for any advice

Lorraine

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,086 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaysia Airline

Although i havent flown economy, MH is definately better than Thai, but probably behind singaporean .

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaysia Airline

i don't think you can purchase extra baggage in advance. do read the t&cs about handluggage though.

each person can take 1 bag weighing 7kg. plus; a coat, blanket, handbag, camera, laptop, reading material, umbrella, and those are just the bits i can remember. so you should be able to accommodate a bit of shopping.

laundry services are cheap and quick in k.l.; no need to pack your whole wardrobe. and you can always dress in layers on the way home...

enjoy.

pam