We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore Airlines - Heathrow/Sydney/Heathrow

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore Airlines - Heathrow/Sydney/Heathrow

13th March 2012 - singapore airlines economy flight, heathrow to sydney £599.73.

Same date, sydney to heathrow £885.85.

How can I get the sydney to heathrow flight for the £599.73 and why is it so much more expensive the other way round?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,283 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore Airlines - Heathrow/Sydney/Heathrow

lizq52

£599.73 LHR-SYD rt seems a bit low, even for SQ..... are you certain about this fare?

The fares I normally see to SYD are £800 to £1050.

Regards

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,274 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore Airlines - Heathrow/Sydney/Heathrow

The answer is that airlines sell tickets in different fare "buckets" within a particular class.Singapore airlines sell in y/b/m/h/v/w and a few others.Some give frequent flyer miles,some dont.Some are changeable,some are not.These "buckets"are priced at different levels of discount from the published Y fare.Once a particular "bucket" has sold out,the airline only sells tickets from the higher priced "buckets"

Airlines have a very sophisticated revenue management department who run ticket pricing,most of whom trained in the black arts with Harry Potter.It is almost impossible to calculate what will happen next with pricing.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,632 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore Airlines - Heathrow/Sydney/Heathrow

London to Sydney tickets have been cheaper than Sydney to London for all airlines for a while (many years) Not entirely sure of the reason.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6,189 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore Airlines - Heathrow/Sydney/Heathrow

<< £599.73 LHR-SYD rt seems a bit low, even for SQ..... are you certain about this fare? The fares I normally see to SYD are £800 to £1050. >>

OP is looking at one-way fares. Return fares are what you have indicated.

To OP, are you trying to get a return ticket from SYD to LHR or are you just going to buy a one-way ticket?

Edited: 30 August 2011, 13:20
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,632 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore Airlines - Heathrow/Sydney/Heathrow

Yes same thing applies, Sydney to London is always more expensive. Same with BA & Qantas.

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
514 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore Airlines - Heathrow/Sydney/Heathrow

Airfares booked in Australia are definitely more expensive than airfares booked from the UK - I wish that I could explain the anomoly. Australia has just become so expensive for Australians, let alone tourists with a declining currency exchange.

We just relocated from Sydney to Surrey. The airfares that we bought to come from Sydney to London one-way were more expensive than our return tickets that we just purchased to come back to Oz for Christmas. In fact, the premium economy seats we booked with BA, LHR-SYD return, were cheaper than Qantas Economy LHR-SYD return and also economy seats for SYD-LHR return for the same travel dates.

Just add it to the long list of things that Australian pay way too much for

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,383 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore Airlines - Heathrow/Sydney/Heathrow

It's supply and demand. If more people are wanting to fly from Sydney to London than the other way round then that'll warrant a higher price.

If you're in Australia and travel to London regularly the smart money goes on nesting tickets....

Ticket A is SYD-LON-SYD

Ticket B is LON-SYD-LON (thereby taking advantage of the cheaper fares ex-LON)

Ticket C is LON-SYD-LON

On your first trip to London you take the first flight of itinerary A, then "collect" itinerary B and fly that itinerary. Rinse and repeat with tickets C, D etc.. At the end of your succession of trips you fly back home on the LHR-SYD leg of ticket A.

Technically nesting is illegal but it's more frowned upon by the airlines. I did it routinely for a few years on my most flown route and the airline never questioned it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore Airlines - Heathrow/Sydney/Heathrow

>> We just relocated from Sydney to Surrey. <<

Sigh ...... how lucky can you get? I keep buying lottery tickets but the mongrels never turn out to be winners, not even free tickets (lol) ;-( But, given half a chance (and those elusive winnings), I'd pack up my family (and so would my sister) and we'd be living in Cornwall :)

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Singapore Airlines - Heathrow/Sydney/Heathrow

No, it was one way I was looking at. Just comparing the prices as all flights seem to be more expensive travelling sydney to heathrow route. Planning on flying into heathrow in March and flying back to sydney about June. Think the oz dollar has a lot to do with it!!

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,274 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Singapore Airlines - Heathrow/Sydney/Heathrow

One way tickets are priced in the currency of origin.The prices were set before the AUS$ rose dramatically,which when converted to sterling has a large effect,hence the price differential.