We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Fares - Uk to Vegas - Vegas to NYC - NYC back to UK

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Air Fares - Uk to Vegas - Vegas to NYC - NYC back to UK

Hi,

I asked on here a couple of weeks ago about trying to forecast a cost of a flight from Manchester to Vegas, then Vegas to New York and then from New York back to Manchester.

We aren't going until the end of August next year, so when trying to forecast the cost, I put in as though we were going to in May. I got prices of around £1400 (for 2 people, travelling economy).

I'm just having a quick look at my budget again and I've got a little worry that the prices might not be very realistic as there will be a big difference of prices from May and from August.

I understand 100% that prices will change and that I should wait till nearer the time, I'm just trying to forecast the money the best I can, and put the worse case scenerio into the budget.

So, has anyone flown similar routes around this time (or going) and can share some rough prices?

Many thanks for help and hope that I have made sense!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,611 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Fares - Uk to Vegas - Vegas to NYC - NYC back to UK

For two people £1400 doesn't sound too bad though my guess is that at some point between now and then, prices will be a bit less than that. Try looking for the LAS-NYC part of the trip separately and then the rest as a open-jaw.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Fares - Uk to Vegas - Vegas to NYC - NYC back to UK

Can I do these Open jaws on the airlines particular website? If so, do I try Virgin's/BA's/Delta's etc and see who has the best deal?

I've been using Traveolcity and Expedia you see and selecting the Multi Trip option!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,611 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Fares - Uk to Vegas - Vegas to NYC - NYC back to UK

"Can I do these Open jaws on the airlines particular website?"

Sure, just use the multi-city option. You can also try price comparison sites like Kayak to find out which airlines are cheapest. That way you don't necessarily have to go through each airline individually.

UK
Level Contributor
401 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Fares - Uk to Vegas - Vegas to NYC - NYC back to UK

Alternatively, look at a return to New York (pretty much always the cheapest UK-USA route) and do a return New York-Las Vegas separately. Just be careful if you do choose that option to leave sufficient time to connect, and check the airports are the same (not so much of a problem if you leave a day between flights, but on the same day you need to be flying in/out of the same airport).

Also, although it may not be as convenient, the cheapest option from Manchester is usually US Airways to Philadelphia. It's very easy to get from New York to Philadelphia (bus, train, plane), so don't necessarily rule that option out.

It's not long before the first fares for when you want to travel will be released (it's usually about 11 months ahead). Personally I'd book the transatlantic bit as soon as you can - if you can get something to New York for £350 or less I'd jump on it, anything less than £400 in August is a pretty good price these days.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,274 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Fares - Uk to Vegas - Vegas to NYC - NYC back to UK

You can make bookings for some august dates on BA's website now,open jaw LHR-LAS/JFK-LHR,but not the domestic sector LAS-JFK.The prices are a little higher though.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Fares - Uk to Vegas - Vegas to NYC - NYC back to UK

Thanks for all of your replies! I will have a look at doing the UK - NYC as a seperate booking and then the internal US bookings as another one.

What would be the best website to get the best deals for the internal US flight? Using a site such as Kayak, Expeida etc, or going through a US Airline website?

I'm looking to fly out on Aug 31st 2012 - so I won't be able to look properly until at least the very end of September and then mid October for the return flights!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,611 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Fares - Uk to Vegas - Vegas to NYC - NYC back to UK

Kayak is just a price comparison site, it doesn't sell tickets. Use it to find out which airlines fly the route and what prices they offer, then book directly from the airline's website.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Fares - Uk to Vegas - Vegas to NYC - NYC back to UK

Thanks Lex and everyone else. I will look into it and hopefully find the best deal!

uk
Level Contributor
3,708 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Fares - Uk to Vegas - Vegas to NYC - NYC back to UK

I would think carefully about booking a flight MAN-NYC and then a seperate onward connection to LAS on two tickets.

I think that the saving you make would be quite small as opposed to just buying a single ticket from MAM - LAS which would include a stop off somewhere.

If you buy two tickets you will need to check in all over again when you get to NYC. As eb13saint mentioned you should ensure you leave sufficient time to do this. Most people would recommend three hours to make a connecting flight in the USA so to check in again etc you should probably look to ensure 5 hours between flights. This could mean you're hanging around the airport for a long time which believe me can be painful as you'll already have been travelling for a miniumum of 10 hours at this stage including check in time at Manchester.

Hanging around at the airport is honestly the best outcome. If your plane from Manchester is delayed and you don't make your check in at NYC then it is your tough luck and you'll have to buy another ticket yourself to get to LAS. If you were delayed on a single ticket, the airline would automatically move you to the next flight.

This has happened to me before, at check in the airline knew there was going to be a three hour delay out of Manchester so they had already moved me on to a later connection.

If I'd been on two tickets I would have had to scramble around trying to rebook my seperate flight to LAS.

You might save a little by booking two seperate tickets but really consider the cost of the peace of mind.

I'm really confident that you will get your flights within budget.

The cheapest options from Manchester tend to be USAir via PHL or Continental via EWR. Cheapest flights tend to be leaving on a Wednesday.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,611 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Fares - Uk to Vegas - Vegas to NYC - NYC back to UK

"I would think carefully about booking a flight MAN-NYC and then a seperate onward connection to LAS on two tickets."

I was thinking the same thing. Saving are likely to be minimal and it is really only something I would consider if you want to split up your stay in NYC with a trip to Vegas in between.