We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways

North Carolina
Level Contributor
202 posts
1 review
Save Topic
British Airways

We have not made reservations but were planning to fly BA to London next spring. Economy

A friend told us that BA's standards for their passengers had really gone down over the past 4-5 years. Such as seat arms not being replaced - a lot less room in the overhead bins, and worst of all, DIRTY interiors.

I don't know since it has been 6 years since I flew with them but I decided to post the question because I believe there are several people on this board who will know for sure.

Any help will be appreciated!

Dorothy

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,283 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British Airways

Dorothy019

Couldn't be farther from the truth. That sounds a lot like Virgin Atlantic. I fly BA 3-4 times a year, both long and short-haul, as recently as last week and haven't experienced such.

British Airways, IMHO, provides a better and more consistent quality of service whereas Virgin for the past three years have been in a rapid downward spiral, particularly on flights from London Gatwick and Manchester. Beyond all their flashy and glossy red advertising, the on-board experience simply doesn't match up the way it used to. Evidence of this lies in the dozens of poor reviews which it garners daily on Skytrax (www.airlinequality.com) where one can see that their average score is now 3.9/10 and they've just been downgraded in July 2011 from a 4 star to a 3 star airline. BA on the other hand has an average score of 6.5/10 and remains a 4 star airline. I would recommend you visit Skytrax for yourself and have a read of the reviews. Don't just take my word for it. I find they're quite consistent in highlighting dirty and old aircraft, rude cabin crew, poor and dysfunctional IFE systems and bland food. What's more, Virgin Atlantic is quickly going down the road of being a long-haul Ryanair or easyJet by selling snacks and candy bars on-board, not to mention selling exit row seats for £30 after take-off. This isn't what I expect of a full service carrier. On BA, when exit row seats are available once the flight is ready to depart, anyone who wishes can ask to move to them, free of cost.

Regards

Virginia
Level Contributor
68 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British Airways

I flew BA from Washington Dulles to London Heathrow and back about a year and a half ago and the planes were very nice. Everything was in working order and the planes were clean. Absolutely no complaints!

uk
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British Airways

Hi Dorothy,

I think you will find that the standards on the majority of TA flights have declined in recent years but not the the extent that you suggest with BA.

BA would always be my preferred choice for TA travel with Virgin all of the US carriers a long way behind.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British Airways

Flew them a few weeks ago. London - AMS plane was pretty old. New york - London, plane looked brand new.

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British Airways

I agree with the other posters who like BA over the competitors. For sure I would not willfully choose Virgin Atlantic again. There is no comparison. Though our planes are the 747-400 aircraft they have always been clean and the flight attendants have been very professional.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British Airways

<<A friend told us that BA's standards for their passengers had really gone down over the past 4-5 years.>>

Certainly not my experience with them, I've flow BA several times this year, flying again in a few weeks, and haven't experienced anything like that.

I wonder if they are confusing BA with Virgin? If it was Virgin, then judging by what many others have written, that would seem plausible.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,273 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British Airways

I agree with the other postings. If anything BA's standards have gone up over the years. Terminal 5 Heathrow is superb. I think your friends might have got BA mixed up with Virgin who's standards are definately declining.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,380 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: British Airways

A friend told us that BA's standards for their passengers had really gone down over the past 4-5 years. Such as seat arms not being replaced - a lot less room in the overhead bins, and worst of all, DIRTY interiors.

Ignoring the fact of how overhead bin size can get smaller....I think your friend is largely mistaken.

I fly BA shorthaul and longhaul enough to be a Gold cardholder for the past 7yrs and haven't noticed any declining standards that your friend has noticed. Admittedly amongst those scores of flights I've only flown economy once but I think you're more concerned about a general slipping of standards.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: British Airways

I really appreciate all the feedback I received from this question. And it makes us feel a lot better!!

Many thanks

Dorothy

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
946 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: British Airways

BA is your best bet for a TA flight to London. They are light years ahead of any American airline and certainly one of the best airlines in Europe.