We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Storing Refridgerated medication

Gloucester
Level Contributor
143 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Storing Refridgerated medication

Have to store my injection pen at 2 - 8 degrees cent on long haul flight. What is the best way to do this. I considered freezer packs but are not sure if these can be taken through UK customs because of liquid rules. If anyone has used freezer packs for medication storage please advise

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,201 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Storing Refridgerated medication

Take along an empty zip top plastic bag in your hand baggage. Ask cabin crew members for a bit of ice and put the (well protected) pen in the bag. If you'll be at the airport a few hours before boarding the flight you should be able to get a bit of ice at one of the airside restos or cafes as well, to keep the pen cool before boarding.

Gloucester
Level Contributor
143 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Storing Refridgerated medication

Will consider that as a last resort. Have to carry 2 pens in its packaging as per airlines instructions. The airline can't store the pens on board so need to keep them cool for 10 hour flight as well.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,494 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Storing Refridgerated medication

It might be worth checking with your Pharmacist/Chemist to inquire how long the medication can safely be stored at room temperature.

I know there are certain medications that the manufacturer recommends refrigeration (Ideally & long term)..but the medication can indeed be safely stored at room temp for varying periods of time...in some case 30 days. Seek Clarification with the Pharmacy for absolute confirmation in your particular situation.

There are products on the market that keep medicines cool while travelling without refrigeration. The "Frio Cooler wallet " might be worth a look.

Edited: 03 September 2011, 18:24
norfolk
Level Contributor
7,729 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Storing Refridgerated medication

you could freeze wet face flannels instead. squeeze them out well and freeze for as long as you can. the more you use together, the longer they'll stay cold. pack into a small cool-bag [the size you might use for 2 cans].

i did this in 35 degree heat when wanting 'cold towels' to take to the airport when meeting someone. they stayed from for about two hours and cold for four.

i think freezer packs are banned.

pam

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Storing Refridgerated medication

I've heard of medication that is unusable if not refrigerated for two hours.

Here is a thread that discusses this issue:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i12530-k3491975-…

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Storing Refridgerated medication

As a back-up check WHERE YOU ARE GOING to see if you can replace meds. But I'm guessing you'd have to pay for a visit to a local doctor to get an RX for a temp supply.

I cannot vouch for this item, but it seems a possibility:

magellans.com/store/Health___Hygiene___Welln…

www.diabetesfrio.com/frio-wallets/cat_3.html

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Storing Refridgerated medication

we travelled to florida during the summer and bought two frio wallets for our son's injection kits. They worked really well and kept his medication safe for the duration of the flights. Whilst we were in florida, we used the frio wallets but instead of reconstituting them we put ice blocks for a cool box in them instead and this did the trick, whilst we were out at the parks.

Interestingly, when we told the cabin crew that we were carrying insulin, they offered to store it for us in their fridge!

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Storing Refridgerated medication

Hi. We have carried medication pens that required refrigeration successfully in a wallet specifically designed for this purpose. You freeze the whole wallet prior to use. As Our last journey took over 22 hrs and we put the wallet with the pens in it into a cooler bag complete with additional freezer pads and bubble wrap. Not one person at any of the multiple security checkpoints questioned us once I presented the original medicine packaging.

Once at our stopover destination I asked for the empty wallet and chiller packs to be put in the hotel kitchen freezer so that they were ready for the next leg. They were more than happy to oblige. The meds stayed in our room fridge.

I think most people are happy to assist if you ask nicely and explain the situation.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Storing Refridgerated medication

If you are talking about insulin pens (humalog for example), these can safely be carried and used on your person during the flight and need not be refrigerated during the flight. Same with long acting Iwhich I carry in hand luggage) - for these comparatively short periods of time, there is minimal degredation.

May be different for other meds of course

Northleach, United...
Level Contributor
699 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Storing Refridgerated medication

Babs, we use the Frio cooler packs on long haul flights and day trips.

http://www.friouk.com/