We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AA Cabin Crew, attitude problem or just a bad day..

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
121 posts
311 reviews
Save Topic
AA Cabin Crew, attitude problem or just a bad day..

This was the first time I have flown with American from LHR to BOS.

On both the outbound and inbound flights recently, I felt the crew did not want to be there, coming across abrupt with passengers, and generally unfriendly. Is this the norm or is there something going on at AA which is making them unhappy ? The only positive thing for me was that the flight was on time outbound and inbound.

We were in the main cabin, but you felt you were putting them out if you asked for a drink. Not a good experience !

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,251 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AA Cabin Crew, attitude problem or just a bad day..

HawaiiFive0

Gerard Arpey makes well over $10 million USD annually... what do they make?

They're not the friendliest in the bunch, but I've gotten accustomed to them. Flew LHR-ORD and JFK-LHR sectors in May and found the service surprising good and cabin crew quite friendly.

It does vary depending on route I find. The MIA based crews can be awful I find.

Regards

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AA Cabin Crew, attitude problem or just a bad day..

At least your flights were on time. That's all I'd expect from AA and other American-based airlines.

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/am_aa.htm

Edited: 06 September 2011, 23:25
CEBU
Level Contributor
58 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AA Cabin Crew, attitude problem or just a bad day..

Most of the time these flt attendants are stressed out or just having a bad day. But it's not an excuse for them not to show excellent service on board. Airline should push for customer satisfaction surveys onboard. This will keep everyone on board on their toes.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,251 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AA Cabin Crew, attitude problem or just a bad day..

LOVEME2011

I know for certain BA conducts surveys on long-haul flights and also e-mails a group of passengers from each flight both long and short-haul to gather their responses via survey. A brilliant move I think on their part. Just last week I completed a survey on a LHR-MAD flight.

Regards

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,299 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AA Cabin Crew, attitude problem or just a bad day..

Yes, all AA flight attendants are identikit misery guts.

Think about it, it's a bit of a silly question.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,638 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AA Cabin Crew, attitude problem or just a bad day..

Hi,

I'm a little bit more firm on this topic-- having been and still am a fully qualified cabin crew member on my carrier..

The notion of "the CEO earns X" is a valid point, BUT.. it does *not* condone sub-standard service..

I tell my crews "If you have an issue with the CEO or executive level compensation, take that up with your union bargaining team or ask the executive themselves when the fly.. but do not take it out on the passenger, it's not their fault nor controllable."

When we do have a VP level person fly with us, I tell the VP-- or perhaps warn them-- that they might get some tough questioning from the crew about various parts of the business-- but I also believe that as an executive, you're responsible to answer for these business decisions..

What I don't agree with and I don't condone is to 'take out' your frustrations-- however valid or not they may be-- on the passenger.. The passenger isn't a party to pay rates, work rules or the like..

There's an appropriate time and place to have that discussion.. on the aircraft with a passenger or by delivering intentionally sub-standard service isn't an acceptable time or place..

All that said, I do also remember that we're talking about people.. and people do in fact have "off days".. they have personal issues, they have personal problems.. and as much as we'd like or hope that one can separate themselves from them when it's work time, the reality is that it's very, very hard..

So, to that end, I can give some credence to the notion of simply having an 'off day'.. but I also think that since a cabin is staffed with more than one FA, that his/her colleagues would be professional enough to know when somethings wrong and to otherwise assist-- lend a helping hand if you will-- so that the service doesn't suffer..

Do I discipline crew for poor service? You bet I do.. But, I don't think each and every case is the same, nor are they all symptomatic of a personnel failure per se.

Travel Safe,

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AA Cabin Crew, attitude problem or just a bad day..

And I have found that travelers have become more demanding and rude as well.

UK
Level Contributor
219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AA Cabin Crew, attitude problem or just a bad day..

I recently flew AA LHR-LAX and return and found the flight crews in economy to be friendly, attentive and approachable. Much more so than many BA crews. Different crews, different flights, different passengers will always give mixed reports.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,026 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AA Cabin Crew, attitude problem or just a bad day..

"Different crews, different flights, different passengers will always give mixed reports."

So true. Flew BNA/LAS last week on AA. No problems at all and crew was attentive. Did notice one FA appeared to not be having a good day, but he never took it out on any of the passengers,

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,512 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: AA Cabin Crew, attitude problem or just a bad day..

>> Gerard Arpey makes well over $10 million USD annually... what do they make? <<

Actually, not. Quite a bit less, actually.

FAs have bad days and good ones, just like most of us do at work. I fly in the neighborhood of 100K miles annually, much of it on AA, and the last thing I'd ever do is draw conclusions about staff based on one or even a couple of flights. In my experience, in fact, AA's Boston flight crews are generally well-regarded for professionalism and experience. But the plural of anecdote is not data.