We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA Miles. Book now or hang on for Avios?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
43,154 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
BA Miles. Book now or hang on for Avios?

We (Mrs H and myself) are planning on a trip to Phoenix and/or San Diego in early/mid March 2012.

We were going to book WT+ and we have enough BA miles to upgrade to Club World for one leg of the journey. When I last checked about a month ago most dates were available but we wanted to hang on a few weeks to spread out payments (flight to Chicago just booked and paid for) so held fire and were about to book when the news came through regarding the changes.

So any thoughts as to whether we should book now and get the exact dates we want or hold off until November in case of better deals?

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA Miles. Book now or hang on for Avios?

As a general rule, I would grab the seats whilst there is availability - it can change quickly.

Unless ORD is one of the destinations which will require fewer points in the future (don't think so, but check the table on BA.com to be sure), nothing in the information released so far suggests any benefit in holding off.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA Miles. Book now or hang on for Avios?

My worry would be that the upgrades would not be available if you leave it until November.

Maybe it is just me but I have amazing difficulty trying to use my miles for an upgrade as my plans are about 3 months ahead at the most.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA Miles. Book now or hang on for Avios?

I believe the number of miles needed to MFU is coming down for the East Coast as of ?Nov 16th) but not by a lot, IIRC its from 12,500 to 10,000, and I dont know if Chicago qualifies as East Coast.

So you'll have to balance off 5k airmiles at best (eg MFU-one way for two people) vs decreased odds of getting the dates you want.

If it was me I'd book it now and get the upgrades locked in.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,813 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA Miles. Book now or hang on for Avios?

According to the email BA sent yesterday the next Big Announcement will be .... an advertisement. About the upcoming changes. Ready for viewing on 21 September.

Sigh. If at work I wrote in a person's notes 'respiratory and cardiac status to be divulged in seven days' I'd be hauled in to the office for a severe chat, to put it mildly.

With changes afoot this really is a waiting game. If you can hang on a bit, even until October, the availability should still be there and your credit card can have a bit of a rest. But do keep making dummy bookings every few days to see if the 'only X seats availabile' line appears in the flight information as once those award seats are gone they may stay gone.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,125 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA Miles. Book now or hang on for Avios?

JBart - you are not alone!

TP - yes, the lack of real information is frustrating whilst getting bombarded with 'teaser' emails....

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
43,154 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA Miles. Book now or hang on for Avios?

Thanks for the advice. We have booked WT+ out to San Diego upgrading to Club World back from Phoenix for 25000 miles. The one way car hire charge will be about £50 more but it will mean us spending a night or two less on the road.

Our 30th wedding anniversary will be spent at The Grand Canyon. Anyone care to join us?!

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA Miles. Book now or hang on for Avios?

OK Adam I'll see you at the Grand Canyon :)

Glad you got the upgrade with miles.

Edited: 08 September 2011, 18:03
Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,486 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA Miles. Book now or hang on for Avios?

Adam,

Congratulations on 30 years of bliss. Would love to celebrate with you at the Grand Canyon BUT...March is my busiest time of the year. Enjoy the desert Southwest and do drop through South Texas some day soon!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,813 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA Miles. Book now or hang on for Avios?

Blimey, what a wonderful place to celebrate 30 years with Mrs Hornets. I do suggest you book at El Tovar or Bright Angel Lodge, both of which offer the full Canyon experience.

And Club World back from PHX. It will be splendid times all round!

10. Re: BA Miles. Book now or hang on for Avios?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 07:18