We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Always dreaded Ryanair but...

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Always dreaded Ryanair but...

...it turned out not too bad at all.

Followed all their rules to the letter and only took cabin luggage.

Didn't bother with priority boarding or any other extras and still managed to get emergency row seats coming back.

They organised the queuing in Edinburgh and Malaga so there was no stampede for seats. In Edinburgh they were being very strict with cabin luggage size (no prob. for us as I'd measured the case before buying it). In Malaga it seemed to me some slightly big bags were getting passed, but then there was only one gate agent and the plane was only on the ground for around 30 mins. Always assume they are going to be strict though.

FAs were fine on both flights but slightly better on return flight.

Hot food wasn't great. DD had cheeseburger which comes opened out flat on a cellophane wrapped bit of cardboard. Luckily she was too hungry to care.

Annoying things were the trumpeting announcement on"another on time arrival" and all the duty free/scratch cards/smokeless cigarettes they kept trying to sell. They didn't seem to enjoy having to do it.

So for anyone who is a Ryanair virgin and like me is expecting the worst don't worry it will most likely be better than you are expectiing.

Just remember to do EXACTLY as the rules say!

Edited: 07 September 2011, 22:09
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,033 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Always dreaded Ryanair but...

Hi,

You nailed it in your second sentence....

"Followed all their rules to the letter"

Most complaints about Ryanair would not exist if everyone followed that simple advice.

Radcliffe, United...
Level Contributor
2,362 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Always dreaded Ryanair but...

totaly agree FOLLOW RULES TO THE LETTER,,,we have traveledon RA on a number of occasions only hand lugge never bother with priority boarding and dont buy anything on board and have had plenty of cheap flights

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Always dreaded Ryanair but...

I have been on several Ryanair flights and always found them OK.

Just think of them like a flying bus ---- you buy your ticket , get on . sit down , have a safe flight to your destination and then get off ---- no more no less.

As you say , stick to the rules and enjoy cheap travel

Graham

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,920 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Always dreaded Ryanair but...

Fundriver, posts: 1,662

Says it all. Although you were a Ryanair virgin you are an experienced enough traveller to know the foibles of their T&C's and stuck to them hence no problems.

If only all those one time posters who come on here never flying this or that airline ever again and you shouldn't either, did the same as you.

I avoid Ryanair if possible now but that's just personal choice. each to their own.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Always dreaded Ryanair but...

Just got back from Venice on Ryanair, used them 3 times in one trip as had to connect in Dublin to Liverpool, all flights on time no problems. I use Ryanair for all my trips.

ps I actually bought the e-cigarettes, not to use on the plane but to help me pack in soon

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,202 posts
1,821 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Always dreaded Ryanair but...

I have used Ryanair in the past and as long as you stick with the rules and aware of the 'hidden costs' you will be fine. The planes are good.

Because of the constant comments by their boss who seem to think its passengers are nothing but cattle I prefer to use its rivals.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Always dreaded Ryanair but...

I've never had trouble with Ryan Air either. I even was pleasantly surprised by them yesterday. People are always saying Ryan Air wants money for everything and will charge you for anything. But I added luggage to my booking which I had already paid. So when I added the luggage I was afraid I would have to pay their credit card fee again (6euro) but no fee was added for this extra payment.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Always dreaded Ryanair but...

Would still prefer to go with another airline but at least my dread of flying with them has gone. It'll be more a case of "oh well if they are the only sensible choice I'll just go with the flow". Instead of "OMG I've no choice but to fly with RYANAIR !"

London, United...
Level Contributor
733 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Always dreaded Ryanair but...

So glad to read these posts. I usually avoid budget airlines like the plague but recently booked a short break for me and mum to Calabria in Oct. Only towards end of booking did agent mention flight was Ryanair. I thought about not completing it but decided to continue. Have been secretly having nightmares about what to expect but the above comments have reassured me somewhat...

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Always dreaded Ryanair but...

Why would you book a Ryan Air flight through an agent? It's not even officially allowed by Ryan Air to buy through a third party.