We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
167 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Air Asia

Hi What is Air Asia like to travel on ?? we are going from Melbourne to Kuala Lumpur, is there enough leg room ?? what is the crew like ??

Thanks Kim

brisbane
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Asia

Hi Kim

We have traveled on Air Asia over 10 times and have never had any issues. As far as leg room - it is not great but what plane trip is comfortable?! The crew of course vary from flight to flight but we have always found them fine - not overly friendly but they respond to your requests reasonable promptly.

Just remember that it is a low cost carrier - don't expect too much and you will be fine. Enjoy KL - it is one of my favourite places to visit.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,215 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Asia

I did the London - KL stint. It was a long one with nothing to do, think it was between 12-14 hours. Staff were nice and helpful. We were just bored. We also paid extra for the seats with more leg room, which for us on this flight considering how long it was, was definitely worth it, otherwise I think my OH who is 6.2 would have been in a very bad mood on landing.

If I was going long haul again I probably would look at another air line, purely for all the extras, food, refreshments, entertainment, comfort packs etc. Unless of course it was considerably cheaper. For short flights, I would probably be fine on Air Asia flights up to around 6 hours, anything in the region of 8+ hours I would personally look at another airline for the reasons above.

Perth
Level Contributor
60 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Asia

What is the price Air Asia is offering?

I would consider Air Asia my third option, only if Air Asia was doing one of there really low fare specials (which are hard to book at the best of times because the cheap seats are nabbed pretty damn quickly!) Look at Jetstar, who fly through Singapore for a better option, or better yet Malaysia Airlines who can be almost comparable to both of these LLC if booked during a special.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Asia

hi kim, have not done air-asia myself but my son did a long haul with them recently 8+hrs, his tip take lots of reading material as he had no IFE and the boredom can be hard to bear. we are doing malaysia/singapore soon and got a great price with MAS with all the trimmings so they aren't always the cheapest either.have you applied for the cheap upgrade on optiontown? might be worth doing if the budget allows. have a great trip and be safe

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Asia

We have flown long haul flights with Air Asia quite a few times and have found they are very good for a budget airline.

You have to remember that because they are a budget airline you need to pay for things like food and in flight entertainment extra, which I personally do not have a problem with as it still works out way cheaper than any other airline I've found.

The service has always been fantastic on our flights. We always pay extra and book the exit aisle seats for the leg room, those seats are narrower though due to the tray having to go between the seats.

We always take our own entertainment on our flights (netbook or tablet with preloaded movies, iPods, books/magazines). if you want to use theirs though you really must book it when you book your flight to ensure you get it (otherwise they can run out).

We recently booked flights from Melbourne to London (via KL) on Air Asia for only about $700 including all the extras we purchased like baggage, exit aisle seats and meals. Bargain I think!!

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Asia

We have flown long haul flights with Air Asia quite a few times and have found they are very good for a budget airline.

You have to remember that because they are a budget airline you need to pay for things like food and in flight entertainment extra, which I personally do not have a problem with as it still works out way cheaper than any other airline I've found.

The service has always been fantastic on our flights. We always pay extra and book the exit aisle seats for the leg room, those seats are narrower though due to the tray having to go between the seats.

We always take our own entertainment on our flights (netbook or tablet with preloaded movies, iPods, books/magazines). if you want to use theirs though you really must book it when you book your flight to ensure you get it (otherwise they can run out).

We recently booked flights from Melbourne to London (via KL) on Air Asia for only about $700 including all the extras we purchased like baggage, exit aisle seats and meals. Bargain I think!!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Asia

No problem with air Asia.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,761 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Asia

Hi,

As someone who flys them on a regular basis (mostly short-haul, but also long-haul) I will say that I think they're just fine.... but... I do think you need to know, understand and accept what is and is not included with Air Asia when it comes to cabin, seats, food, IFE, etc..

I call it "expectation management"... It's not a bad ride... not at all.. but it is, for the most part, an "ala carte" experience in that you pay separately for things (like meals) that would be included in the ticket price with other full-fare airlines.. Whether or not the economic of this work out for you, is something each passenger needs to calculate for themselves..

I do think that if you come prepared and informed-- so there's no surprises-- the flight can be enjoyable (as enjoyable as an economy-cabin long haul can be) experience.. but again, I do think a fair percentage of this is in fact knowing in advance what's included and what's not... and if you choose not to buy one of their added services (like meals) that you've planned ahead and have an alternative.

[Note: For purposes of self-disclosure, my fiancée is an Air Asia cabin crew member, as such I do travel on Air Asia free as the family/partner/spouse of an Air Asia employee, but I personally do not work for Air Asia, or any subsidiary of the parent company.]

Travel Safe,

9. Re: Air Asia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 July 2012, 07:05
10. Re: Air Asia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 July 2012, 06:59