We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

departure tax cancun airport

england,liverpool
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
departure tax cancun airport

why do we as tourists have to pay a departure tax when leaving cancun,{mexico} airport which equates to aprox £35 each ,when reading in to this it states the money goes towards infrastructure,excuse me but Ive already paid money into this country when booking a holiday here.I noticed it was only the british flights that were paying this and not the american flights it seems that when booking your holiday through the travel company they fail to inform you of this information and extortion

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: departure tax cancun airport

A lot of countries do this; many times it's bundled into the ticket prices and you simply never notice.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: departure tax cancun airport

People whose flights originate in the US have the departure tax built in to their tickets.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,574 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: departure tax cancun airport

As pointed out Mexico isn't the only country that does this. You do have a choice, by going somewhere else.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: departure tax cancun airport

Yes, as someone already said the American Airline companies include it in the ticket price but it doesn't mean the customer isn't paying it only means the airline adds it on before you arrive.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: departure tax cancun airport

Everyone pays this, whether bundled into the ticket price or paid separately; they aren't targeting UK tourists. Many countries charge an exit tax. If you don't like it, you are always free to vacation in a different location.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: departure tax cancun airport

Departure Taxes are fairly common. Im suprised your Travel Agent didn't make you aware of it though. Perhaps you should ask them why ?

uk
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: departure tax cancun airport

As others have said this is incorporated in to most tickets.

I am assuming you are travelling with a UK package holiday. These operators want to keep their price down as low as possible so don't include this cost as part of the holiday price.

Everybody passing through Cancun pays it is just a case of how.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,574 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: departure tax cancun airport

Intrigued to find out how you didn't know. I've used Thomson, Thomas Cook and previously FC before they were incorporated wihin Thomson, and we were informed of any departure tax (and arrival tax in a couple of instances) when booking - even when booking online you are notified.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: departure tax cancun airport

Even the great capitalist mecca of Hong Kong has a departure tax.Or try the UK.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: departure tax cancun airport

I think "extortion" is a bit of stretch really?

It's very easy to tax visitors. That's why the politicians can do so without fear of being voted out of office. :)

Here in the US the local taxes levied on things like hotel rooms and rental cars are often very high.