We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

quick help from airline employee

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
577 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
quick help from airline employee

I'm in a bit of a bind here and need to make a quick decision...short story is that we had flights booked on Continential (via United) that have now changed for both departure time (2 hrs earlier) and layover airport (LAX changed to ORD). Arrival time at destination is about the same as before the change. It was a one way ticket.

This doesn't work for us. I've been told I can receive a full refund if I want due to the change but I'm wondering if I should also expect some type of "compensation" from them as well ie: voucher? credit? If I cancel, I will have to book on another airline and this ultimately will cost us more money...

Any comments? Suggestions?

many thanks.

lwbc

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,434 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: quick help from airline employee

Actually they're being quite generous to offer a full refund. Why should they compensate you at all? Answer is NO!

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
577 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: quick help from airline employee

thanks portland for your opinion...I wasn't really searching for opinions...more for answers/facts from those who might be "in the know"...

I'm in a time crunch and I was just wanting to get a handle on what (if anything) I should expect and I thought my quickest and most correct answer might come from someone in the airline industry.

Cheers!

lwbc

PS: Should they refund me - ABSOLUTELY - the original flight i was booked on is canceled

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,517 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: quick help from airline employee

Hi,

As an direct airline employee I will tell you that under the scenario you've laid out, no, you are not due any additional compensation...

Unless your journey involved travel to another country that had more generous passenger rights, neither the US' DOT nor United Airlines (as the parent of the now merged UA/CO entity) has any legal obligation to compensate you beyond a fee-free refund of your fare paid.

This does *not* preclude the airline from issuing additional compensation if they wish, only that by either and both regualtory rule and airline Contract of Carriage, under the scenario you've laid out (and without more specifics as to your travel) United is not *required* to do so.

Additionally, do know that also the airline would *not* be liable for any additional expenses you may incur or collateral losses, such as a) pre-paid hotels or car rentals, b) lost work days, or c) additional airfare for replacement flights you might incur as a result of the schedule change.

For the most part, unless there is an extra-ordinary situation in play, the airlines tend to follow the CoC and/or regional passenger rights law rather strictly.

Unless you could elect to not travel entirely, and unless you can find a replacement fligth at a close price to what you booked before, it might be a wise decision financially to see if you and UA can find a reasonably suitable alternate flight combination... that way you're not stuck trying to find a wholly new flight and most likely at higher prices which will come out of your pocket.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 11 September 2011, 01:28
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: quick help from airline employee

I agree, you are not due any compensation. All you are due is a refund of monies paid. I am not sure why you think you should get anything else. An airline always retains the right to change schedules; you agreed to this when you purchased your ticket. Your change may be inconvenient, but IMO, it's not the end of the world.

I am actually surprised they offered you a refund; I just had a reservation for a CO flight change by two hours and asked to cancel it. I was told the change must be five hours or more before they would allow this to be done.

Edited: 11 September 2011, 04:51
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
577 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: quick help from airline employee

Thanks Gopbi - Your answer was both informative and helpful. You explained exactly what the airlines "requirement" is vs. what they "may" do. That's exactly what I was looking for. Just the facts...

Gracie-Boo - thanks for your opinion - FYI: I wasn't stating that "I should get anything else" - I was merely asking what my options may be. "IMO" in my IMO is overused - thanks for your IMO but I didn't ask for your IMO....

Happy Travels!

lwbc

xo

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,203 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: quick help from airline employee

lwbc you should appologise to Gracie.In your first post you asked for any comments?suggestions?,which is exactly what Gracie gave you,including her personal experience.If you dont want the answer,dont ask the question.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,010 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: quick help from airline employee

"I am actually surprised they offered you a refund; I just had a reservation for a CO flight change by two hours and asked to cancel it. "

It sounds like the OP's original flight was cancelled, not changed, and Continental offfered to rebook on an alternative route.

Agree with rapidex though. What's the point in asking for comments and then snapping at people that offer them?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,247 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: quick help from airline employee

"Gracie-Boo - thanks for your opinion - FYI: I wasn't stating that "I should get anything else" - I was merely asking what my options may be. "IMO" in my IMO is overused - thanks for your IMO but I didn't ask for your IMO...."

Gracie is an experienced traveller and regular poster here, and you are posting in a public forum so she has done nothing wrong in answering your question.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: quick help from airline employee

<<Any comments? Suggestions?>>

My comment is that snipping back at people when they post a straightforward & informative response is plain obnoxious.

My suggestion is that experienced travellers here have just as much knowledge as an "airline employee" who for sake of argument might work in engineering and have no clue of whats due to you, so insisting on answers from an "airline employee" is ridiculous.

And whats due to you is in the Ts&Cs which you agreed to when you purchased, which as GracieBoo said (and many others of us here will know), will specifically preclude any form of compensation for what is a minor change (and as she also said, be thankful / surprised you were even offered a refund).

Daydream Island...
Level Contributor
4,411 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: quick help from airline employee

Dear IWBC,

Don't let the details get in your way ! You need to get from point A to point B.

The flight changes still get you there at the same time. You get from A to B with a change in middle. You will have accomplished what you wanted. Be flexible.

Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 11 September 2011, 15:21