We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

does qantas weigh your hand luggage at hong kong airport?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
does qantas weigh your hand luggage at hong kong airport?

hi, i just wondered if they weighed your carry-on bag prior to flying? 7kg is pretty mean and I'd love to know the answer!

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: does qantas weigh your hand luggage at hong kong airport?

7 kg is pretty mean?

It's the norm!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: does qantas weigh your hand luggage at hong kong airport?

we are flying with BA first then qantas, so its mean in comparison :)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: does qantas weigh your hand luggage at hong kong airport?

Jackets and coats have pockets. Need I say more?

Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: does qantas weigh your hand luggage at hong kong airport?

I do wonder at BA (or other airlines ) allowing a 23kg cabin baggage allowance. It still means a 22"x18"x10" bag.

I'm no fragile flower, but I couldn't heave that much weight up and into an overhead locker. Equally I wouldn't fancy it falling onto me should it have "shifted during the flight".

Anyway, weighing hand baggage seems to be a bit of a hit and miss affair; even when an airline announces it is monitoring hand baggage 'on today's flight" it doesn't always happen. I guess it's down to aircraft load and the mood of the ground crew. Take your chances I guess.

Am looking forward to your "Qantas weighed my hand baggage and made me pay $150!" post

;)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: does qantas weigh your hand luggage at hong kong airport?

Unclefey, I couldn't believe it when you said that BA allow 23kg in a cabin bag. I just had to check their website. This is ridiculous. How many passengers could lift that weight into an overhead locker. Yes and we are likely to hear complaints about how no flight attendant would help.

How many other airlines allow an unsafe weight of 23kg (plus another few kgs) in a cabin bag?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: does qantas weigh your hand luggage at hong kong airport?

The important thing for me isn't the weight, but the fairness to everyone on overhead bin space (ie SIZE), and efficiency/speed of boarding. If BA can manage that with a 23kg allowance that's good.

My gripe with the US carriers is that they don't specify the (size) limit. And as they charge for the first bag (on domestic flights) people try carrying on the kitchen sink.

But, to avoid any problems, stick to the (Qantas) rules. Although it's a higher limit, I managed a week in China on Asiana's enforced 10kg, and no checked bag.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: does qantas weigh your hand luggage at hong kong airport?

I, too, was totally flabbergasted.

In my view that makes BA unsafe. Lockers do come open in flight and, as has been said, most people wouldn't be able to lift that amount into an overhead locker.

Do BA have extra and larger overheads to accommodate all this baggage?

I would like to think that any airline taking passengers from a connecting BA flight would be very sure to weigh all cabin bags. For our safety!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,236 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: does qantas weigh your hand luggage at hong kong airport?

Airlines have clear information on their web sites about their limits on baggage, both checked and carry-on. Why do people have difficulty in believing that these limits might apply to them?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
432 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: does qantas weigh your hand luggage at hong kong airport?

I have never had Qantas weigh carry on hand baggage. However I have never carried more than the required allowance or bag size so perhaps haven't stood out.

Are you planning on checking luggage too? If not could you just check the heavy bag all the way through?

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: does qantas weigh your hand luggage at hong kong airport?

I have had my carryon luggage weighed a few times by Qantas but I have seen others having their luggage weighed quite often.

Each time I have been selected to have my bag weighed it has been right at the limit of the allowable size. When I travel with a smaller lap top bag or just a hand bag I've only been weighed once when they were weighing every person's luggage regardless of size.

Honestly if you are just over 7 kgs your chances of getting through are pretty good as long as your bag is not too big and not overstuffed - BUT they might catch you in which case you should utilise your coat pockets (as suggested by Joe) and the easiest thing is to put your liquids bag into your pocket.