We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne Coustms :)

Surabaya, Indonesia
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne Coustms :)

Hey,

I was wondering how long will it take to clear customs in Melbourne at 8 am if i have no checked baggage. also how long on average does security take getting into the departure lounge?

thanks for all your help :) :p

Surabaya, Indonesia
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne Coustms :)

Also what about times in Sydney for the same things?

thanks again

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne Coustms :)

Last time we came in through Melbounre Customs and Immigration were so slow I have vowed never to use Melbourne airport again if possible. Think it was about 1.5 hours from landing to being outside front of terminal. At Sydney I am usually done in no more than 45 minutes and often around 30 minutes, and those times include collecting baggage.

Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne Coustms :)

usually 45 mins in both locations. however can be longer so be mindful of that

melbourne
Level Contributor
301 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne Coustms :)

Hi bpsmith25.

This will depend whether you have nothing to declare (green channel) or something to declare (red channel) as per arrival card given to you on board the aircraft.

- If you go through the red channel it can be a very slow process dependent upon the amount of flights arriving around that time, queues, amount of staff on duty etc. It can be very tedious and time consuming and the service (or lack of it) has worsened over the last few years. We've spent 1-2 hours there at worst.

- If you have nothing to declare it may be a quick process and there aren't usually queues.

You could expediate this process by ensuring that you don't have anything to declare.

Not having checked baggage will avoid having to wait at the carousel which it also a very, very slow process at Melbourne Airport.

If you mean immigration/security for an ongoing international flight it can be variable dependable an amount of outgoing flights and whether you might have an express pass to avoid the queues (if any).

Hope this helps.

Nat

melbourne
Level Contributor
301 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne Coustms :)

I forgot to mention immigration which again is variable dependable upon amount of flights arriving, your order of disembarkation from the aircraft, staffing levels, whether you stop to purchase duty free, NZ or Australian Passport holder or other (other usually has a longer queue etc.

This can be a quick process or can take a good hour or so.

We've done this process numerous times and I can only average the time from aircraft to landside to be anywhere from 1 hour (at the best/optimum) to 3 hours

( and we are NZ + OZ citizens).

Nat

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
850 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne Coustms :)

In Sydney there are no 'green' or 'red' channels. I'd be surprised if the situation is different in Melbourne.

At SYD, if you are not collecting checked baggage, you will pass from Immigration direct to Customs/Quarantine control.

Usually there are AQIS (Quarantine) officers checking the cards of those joining the queue and if you have declared that you are not carrying prohibited items (EVERY type of food, wood, seeds, spices, etc), they may (and I mean MAY) wave you on to an express exit. Otherwise you will queue to have all of your baggage checked by X-ray before you leave the secure area. If you've declared something that would attract Customs duties (e.g. alcohol or cigarettes over the limit), you'll be diverted to a Customs inspector.

Agree that, for Aus passport holders, you can be outside catching a cab in 30-45 mins even when collecting checked baggage.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne Coustms :)

Landing in Sydney, going through immigration was quick, have to wait for bag, there was a customs guy walking around and he will stamp your papers, grab your bag, hand out papers and walk out. Leaving from Melbourne, there were long lines around 10am for immigration, took us around 45min or so. Get early for departure. Also Melbourne airport is far from city.

Edited: 14 September 2011, 17:01
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,225 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne Coustms :)

When I was there last month it took me less than two minutes to clear once I had my checked bag. There were no green or red channels that I saw. My journey through was delayed by being selected for doggie sniff. Not an issue. The delay was at most 20 seconds.

Now, the hall was relatively empty when we went through at about 10 am. I've been there before when the hall was crowded and it took 2 hrs to get out of it. I was either lucky or they've made good changes... I know... both.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melbourne Coustms :)

The closest thing to a green channel is the 'Express' lane. Flying business/first on QF (and I suspect other airlines) into SYD you get a form and as long as you meet certain criteria you get to "skip" the quarantine inspection.

Do you get the same at MEL? I'd be surprised if you didn't give the large QF international presence.

Edited: 14 September 2011, 19:41
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,225 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melbourne Coustms :)

I received the quickie form from United for the fast track equivalent, but as there wasn't but one other bag return functioning, there wasn't and wait for anybody.

Too late for an edit of my previous post...

The shuttle to downtown looked simple and logical at 40% of the cost of a taxi. Boy, that was a mistake. It took over two hours to get to the hotel. I should realize they don't work reliably well anyplace.