We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways but no British Food

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
British Airways but no British Food

Traveled today from Phoenix Arizona to London with BA. Dinner was Chicken Curry or some Lasagna type stuff. Hello, I'm British, the airline is British so why only Indian/Pakistani or Italian food ?

I paid a considerable sum to upgrade to World traveler plus but the food was disgusting, no other word for it.

Breakfast came in a box consisting of a muffin, some raisins, some nutty lump that was unrecognizable and a drink. Dire.

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British Airways but no British Food

Curry is the number 1 dish in the UK. Eaten more than anything else. I would class it as British.

Or would you have liked fish and chips fried and in newspaper?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British Airways but no British Food

The aircraft would have been stocked with food by a US airport service company at PHX. I hope that BA brought enough Director's beer for the return journey though, else you'd be stuck drinking some of the US swill if they had to restock that too! :>

I've done the PHX-LHR route more times than I can remember and the UK beer onboard is the only thing that makes the journey bearable. The breakfasts on arrival can be pretty ropey.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British Airways but no British Food

Great! Not only am I craving some Director's beer, but now I'm drooling at the mouth at thought of UK fish and chips! Luckily, I'm heading back "home" at the end of the year for a quick flying visit.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,736 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British Airways but no British Food

"I paid a considerable sum to upgrade to World traveler plus but the food was disgusting, no other word for it."

Welcome to the world of airline food. I don't fly for the food, I fly to get from A to B and realise the dining experience isn't that of a corden bleu restaurant.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British Airways but no British Food

upgraded food isnt a WT+ benefit

Curry is as good as a British national dish

BA do serve 'Great British Classics' in Club World and First

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British Airways but no British Food

The last time I flew BA they served fish pie. Only the brits chose that option. None of the yanks had even heard of it.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,085 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British Airways but no British Food

Wow that makes me want to fly on BA...

Air Canada still does the rubber chicken and leather beef option.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
28 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: British Airways but no British Food

Hummm..... Curry that' s Indian or Thai. Welcome to the world of being domestically kidnapped. You do not matter, Corporate profits matter.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,736 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: British Airways but no British Food

"Hummm..... Curry that' s Indian or Thai"

Maybe that's where it originated from but maybe you missed the post where it states that curry is the UK's number one dish. Do pay attention..

Edited: 15 September 2011, 03:06
Canada
Level Contributor
5,085 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: British Airways but no British Food

No-one is forcing you to fly, Valinor.

Just saying.