We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Airfares Cheapest When Purchased 10 Months From Travel?

Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Are Airfares Cheapest When Purchased 10 Months From Travel?

I am travelling to copenhagen in july 6 2012. returning from stockholm july 16.

I am wondering if its best to purchase my airline tickets now and not wait. i will be travelling during the summer peak and i have to connect through london on both trips.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,748 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are Airfares Cheapest When Purchased 10 Months From Travel?

There is not one best time to buy those sorts of tickets here in the USA!

July flights are always expensive!

In my experience USA airlines don't always offer their lowest prices that far out. They wait to see how many people buy and then as the time gets closer if they don't sell enough tickets they lower the price. I'd start watching prices and see how the trend is going. You have a lot of time!

IF you are using British Air then that might be different.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Are Airfares Cheapest When Purchased 10 Months From Travel?

British Air might indeed be different. Had I purchased our tickets (to London) 10 months away they would be $200 less than they are now.

That being said though, they might (might) go back down come Nov. or Jan.

It is a real guessing game with BA and the subject has been widely discussed on this board.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are Airfares Cheapest When Purchased 10 Months From Travel?

As has their name... ;-)

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,231 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are Airfares Cheapest When Purchased 10 Months From Travel?

Often no. See the top question on this topic (upper right of the main Air Travel forum page).

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,276 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are Airfares Cheapest When Purchased 10 Months From Travel?

There is no single best time to buy as this will depend on preferred carrier dates/route.

I always suggest monitoring prices on sites such as kayak for a few weeks to get an idea of the range of prices and buy (direct from the airline) when you see a price that you are happy to pay.

Once purchased stop looking at the price to see if you got a bargain unless you are prepared to deal with the disappointment of the price falling.

I've bought in advance and seen prices both increase/decrease over what I've paid.

TomC

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,524 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are Airfares Cheapest When Purchased 10 Months From Travel?

Can be but way too many variables.

We have a trip coming up in 2 weeks that I bought the air tickets for last November. I paid $1079, the same exact ticket is now $1359. If oil goes up or taxes the price goes with it. There are less flights these days and a lot of the airlines do not drop the price at the last minute like they used to.

The biggest downside to waiting is availabily and price. As the cheap seat sell out the price can go up and when they all sell out you are looking at the front of ther plane which is always expensive.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are Airfares Cheapest When Purchased 10 Months From Travel?

No one can tell, if you think the price is good at the moment then I'd book it, but if you do don't keep looking back to see if it gets cheaper, when it's booked, it's booked.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are Airfares Cheapest When Purchased 10 Months From Travel?

Also you have to consider that if you are connecting through London during July - the Olympics will be starting close to your dates so, I doubt prices will go down as you get closer. It's more likely that flights will be full.

uk
Level Contributor
3,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are Airfares Cheapest When Purchased 10 Months From Travel?

I would try to avoid connecting through London in July for reasons others have mentioned.

Several NA airlines fly direct to CPH as well as SAS. Unless there is a specific reason to connect through London I'd look into other carriers.

10. Re: Are Airfares Cheapest When Purchased 10 Months From Travel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 09:19