We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling w/ minor with different last name

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
233 reviews
Save Topic
travelling w/ minor with different last name

Hi all-

I am travelling internationally with my daughter for the first time. Due to the whole blended family thing my daughter has a different last name. I was just getting a copy of a travel consent form off of a website to have her father sign and have notarized for us to bring just in case we need it and I happened to see a comment by an attorney that if a minor has a different last name that the parent then they should also bring all of the legal documents showing name changes- essentially proving that you once had the same last name. Has anyone had to do this or seen this? I certainly want to bring everything I have to but don't want to bring more than I need since I only have 1 copy of some things and don't want to take a chance on losing them.

Thanks so much for your help!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling w/ minor with different last name

The odds are, if you are traveling to Europe, you won't be asked for anything. I've never had anything but a notarized permission to travel letter and a child's passport. I've never been asked for a "bridging document" for any air travel.

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling w/ minor with different last name

My two daughters also have a different last name than mine. I have traveled internationally with both of them. To be honest, no one even asked for the consent letter that I did have. We traveled to UK, Ireland, New Zealand and Australia. No one in any of those countries even questioned us about the difference in our names.

I still would take the letter of consent, just in case, but as for the other stuff, I wouldn't sweat it. Others may feel more secure with it.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling w/ minor with different last name

I see you are going to Mexico by reading your other posts. You absolutely need the notarized permission to travel letter to go there. That and a passport should be all you need.

If you are worried, you can always put your former married name as your middle name on the notarized letter, just to tie it all together, but I don't think you'll have a problem.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling w/ minor with different last name

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate it!

5. Re: travelling w/ minor with different last name

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 00:16