We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying and Kindle/electronic books

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
7 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Flying and Kindle/electronic books

Are there any restrictions in place with regards to reading electronic books on an airoplane (eg Kindle or iPad set to "airplane safe mode")? Thanks

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Flying and Kindle/electronic books

You are 100% correct Maple.Fortunately you may say in the unlikely event.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Flying and Kindle/electronic books

I find this rule frustrating but it is there simply because it is totally unrealistic to expect the FA to be able to instantly recognise all of the hundreds of electronic gadget that may or may not "really" need to be turned off. As Joe indicated it would take a couple of hours to go through all the possibilities.

I use the take off and landing time to read the inflight magazine, watch the thrilling safety video (actually Air NZ has quite a good one featuring the All Blacks!) or chat to my partner.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,693 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Flying and Kindle/electronic books

Personally I think they should also ban chatting to your partner. I have enough trouble trying to get over the panic of being strapped in a can miles off the ground and impending turbulence or air piracy to be able to concentrate on conversation.

Seriously though I can not quite equate not being able to use a gadget, no matter how fancy, for 5~7 minutes is an unreasonable imposoition.

Edited: 30 September 2011, 02:06
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
21 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Flying and Kindle/electronic books

This is how it goes. Yes, there are SOME opportunities for electronics to interfere with navigational equipment et all though chances are slim. One phone won't be as much as a problem it's just best practice, saves time and is easier to police by ensuring all and everything is switched off.

MORE IMPORTANTLY ... the most crucial moments for passenger safety are during taxi, take off and landing. If you are caught up in your e-book or have your headphones on or rudely conversing while the safety demo is being demonstrated you are not only impeding your own path of egress in the unlikely event of an accident or emergency situation but you are also preventing others from the same.

It's as much a curtesy to crew and fellow passengers as it is a safety concern.

:^)

uk
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Flying and Kindle/electronic books

Seriously though I can not quite equate not being able to use a gadget, no matter how fancy, for 5~7 minutes is an unreasonable imposoition.

-------------------

It is usually a lot longer than this at large airports.

Last night departing from LHR my plane waited in a queue to take off for over 20 minutes.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Flying and Kindle/electronic books

My plane a couple of days ago we had 30 min on the runway and then maybe another 15 before they switched off the seatbelt sign. I had read the magazine 3 times by then.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
158 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Flying and Kindle/electronic books

Yes I too have waited over an hour at LHR and from a safety point of view wto me thier is no difference between reading a book in paper form than an electronic one. So I would have to go with the idea that it is just to make the crews life easier.

uk
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Flying and Kindle/electronic books

My plane a couple of days ago we had 30 min on the runway and then maybe another 15 before they switched off the seatbelt sign. I had read the magazine 3 times by then.

The dark cabin and the G&T in the lounge sent me to sleep last night but yes Joe, many times I've read the in flight magazine a few times, the shopping guide and I know it's bad if I'm on to Sky Mall!!

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Flying and Kindle/electronic books

Son loves sky mall. He keeps asking for the life size R2D2 robot so he would order it around the house, and the stair steps for the dog to get up to his bed. And did I mention all things Harry Potter and military?

So excited my Kindle Fire is coming...

Edited: 30 September 2011, 15:45
Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
7 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Flying and Kindle/electronic books

Continental from Miami to London Heathrow via Newark