We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta crew demeanor +&-

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,809 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Delta crew demeanor +&-

Just got back from a great trip to Italy(Naples & Rome))

I found it really interesting to note the entirely opposite personalities exhibited by the crew of the different legs !!

From Rome to JFK the flight attendants were grim. Not one smile,no light chat at all! I got the feeling that being assigned to that flight was something like a punishment for them!!

On the other hand,the flight from JFK to SAN(San Diego) had smiles,welcoming helpful attitudes,willingness to chat etc.

IF I had only flown that Rome leg on Delta for the first time I might think twice about flying with them again!!

Instead, I am a FF on Delta and just wish they had more even customer relations on all flights.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,305 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delta crew demeanor +&-

I think what you're describing goes for a lot a flights. In general I think the mood of the crew for a particular flight has little to do with the airline they work for and much more to do with their personality, how long since their shift started, how they got out of bed that morning, and other things like that.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delta crew demeanor +&-

With Air Canada the overseas fights are often staffed by the more senior and apparently disillusioned crew. They invariably act like they hate their life and their passengers. Domestic and regional flights are newer, more enthusiastic staff.

Its a big generalization, naturally but that may explain what went down on your flight. When we do get a pleasant, smiley FA on an overseas flight - its like "Whooooaaaa?"

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
4,807 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delta crew demeanor +&-

We had no problem with KLM crew on overseas flights but I think they get more time to rest inbetween long haul flights

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,166 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delta crew demeanor +&-

Just goes to prove those who post 'Qantas FAs are grumpy' and 'BA's FAs are snobby' are just talking generalized nonsense.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,646 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delta crew demeanor +&-

i fly quite often from u.k. to asia, and back. it has been my experience, on all the airlines i've flown, that flying west to east, the crew is nicer than flying east to west.

this effect varies from singapore: quiet and sad, to china airlines: downright bad-tempered and aggressive.

i have not noticed any such difference flying to new york and back.

pam

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,802 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delta crew demeanor +&-

I see it as a passenger on my flights, too. Good days/iffy days; several different airlines and routes. My husband sees it as an airline captain--good crew/iffy crew. He mostly focuses on the positives.

Sometimes it's the mix of personalities--half the crew likes each other--the other half has issues w/each other. OR they just had some idiot passenger(s) give them a bad time--it works both ways.

I haven't noticed Pam Redboots theory, but I will find out soon. Something to consider and watch for when we go to Bali next month.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delta crew demeanor +&-

..I'm dreading the directs since Delta is the ONLY carrier flying to ATH off season since OA went bust!! I've flown them a number of times on the run and in addition to the horrid terminal at JFK, have avoided them internationally for quite a while! Nonetheless, agree that the domestics differ greatly..especially IME in attitude than the trans..and can certainly understand having a bad day and the 11 plus hours..Although I don't mind changing via Europe..Swiss is great..may just have to give it a another try..no choice!! Enjoy all!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,044 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delta crew demeanor +&-

FAs are people just like you and I. They have good days and bad days. Some are outgoing and chatty. Some are more reserved. As long as they perform their duties efficiently and professionally they are doing their job. I don't see the FAs as part of my IFE. If they want to chat that's nice. But if they don't that's OK too.

I've seen some pretty horrible, demanding, uncooperative, drunk, unreasonable, abusive passengers in my time too.

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Delta crew demeanor +&-

Saw a similar difference (?) on my recent return AA from DFW-LHR. The CC serving the RH aisle was sour and couldn't crack a smile if her life depended on it, while the lovely lady working my aisle couldn't be friendlier...depends on how their day started I guess!

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,802 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Delta crew demeanor +&-

well, you can never enjoy JFK until that DL terminal is GONE!! and the new one is completed. It's been a disgrace for years, by fault of protectionalists, environmentalists and sentimental fools who don't fly in and out of there regularly.

Yep, I sure want a bird pooping on me, but we can't hurt the birdies...And the HVAC system is so outdated!!! The cleaning staff is the PITS and thepeple movers are hardly ever working nor are they in good positions to assist travelers.