We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dodgy practice on Olympic holiday Flights?

Essex
Level Contributor
227 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Dodgy practice on Olympic holiday Flights?

Had a great holiday in Macronissos last week. When I booked the holiday, I paid a surcharge for a daytime flight as opposed to the very late evening and even earlier morning return flights quoted in the original price. Shortly before the holiday, this flight was cancelled and I was given the original flights that were quoted on the internet and told that I was not entitled to a refund despite the fact that the alternative flights I paid for were cancelled by Olympic.

Has anyone else suffered from this? Could this be considered as shady practice? After all, if 100 people paid a £38 surcharge for a non existent flight, then that's a lot of money made out of it. Did the alternative flight exist in the first place?

Marlborough, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
74 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Dodgy practice on Olympic holiday Flights?

As a regular Trip Advisor contributor I would like to vent my spleen about Olympic Holidays and their flight changes. I booked 3 weeks before departure and paid a supplement to fly at a reasonable time from Gatwick. Booked my parking independently etc etc...due to fly on Monday 5 August and just last night. Friday 2nd August at 7pm I receive a phone call from Olympic to say aircraft change and having to offload passengers. Offering a flight from Stansted or a late night flight as an alternative. Not acceptable. They have offered a full refund but it will take some time to reach my bank account. Now of course I want to find a very last minute cheap deal for Monday and don't have the funds back in my bank account to do this! Very frustrating. Disappointing as I have used OH twice before and other than flight delays, have found them to be ok in the past.. Thank you I feel better now!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Dodgy practice on Olympic holiday Flights?

They have offered a full refund but it will take some time to reach my bank account. Now of course I want to find a very last minute cheap deal for Monday and don't have the funds back in my bank account to do this!

---------

Credit card?

I sympathise over Olympic, reading this thread I was thinking "this is why I don't book packages anymore, I'd only ever use one with a few weeks to go when they won't be messing with flights at that stage" and then read your thread and its only three weeks and still they can't get it right!

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Dodgy practice on Olympic holiday Flights?

I'd still book packages if the times / prices and tour operator was right. I would avoid Olympic Holidays like a dose though.

Edited: 03 August 2013, 09:23
Madrid
Level Contributor
3,224 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Dodgy practice on Olympic holiday Flights?

I agree with Joe.Olympic appears to be a particular basket case this year.I only hope that when it comes to renewing their licence the treatment of customers is fully accounted for.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,257 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Dodgy practice on Olympic holiday Flights?

DesertdebDubai,

EU261 gives you protection to these sorts of situation, including cash compensation if the cancellation of your ticketed flight is within 14 days of your departure.

Read the rule here - eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do…

You may find it a complete PITA getting that compensation, including resorting to Small Claims, but worth reading up. Your case is covered by the >original< 261, not a grey area of flight delay or what "extraordinary circumstances" mean. Yours is a case of the airline canceling your flight and their obligations to you.

Good luck.

Edited: 03 August 2013, 09:36
Sussex
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Dodgy practice on Olympic holiday Flights?

I have previously booked package holidays with Olympic holidays with no problems at all however in the last two months on two seperate occasions I would never book a holiday or flight with them again. On the first occasion my son was looking for a holiday reasonably priced to Greece so I suggested skiathos and a holiday I had previously been on with OH which he booked the day before departure he was informed he wouldn't be flying from gatwick but from Manchester and a coach would do the transfer as you can imagine my son wasn't happy as departure would be 5 hours later cutting down his holiday by half a day with the time difference however he accepted this and the rest of the holiday was fine. On the second occasion my partner booked a flight to skiathos to join me on a holiday I had booked previously his whole experience was awful. The flight out was delayed due to inadequate check in staff it took 2 hours to check in with 2 check staff but this was nothing compared to his return journey. He had been told to phone 48 hrs before his return flight to confirm time which is odd in my experience anyway we had been travelling around mainland Greece so he actually phoned the day before to be told yes time the same but an airline change so all ok. 1 hour later a rep called Steve on skiathos phoned to say he would be flying an hour later to Birmingham not gatwick as there was not enough room on his flight my partner asked why as he had paid for his flight only and extra legroom supplement he was being bumped off which Steve had no answer for, he was told by steve that a mini bus would be provided for transfer back to gatwick. On arrival at Birmingham with 6 other flight only passengers including 2 young children there was no transport and the Olympic office was shut so nobody to help them resolve the problem they managed to acquire a taxi themselves and he eventually arrived home at 4am instead of 9.30pm with me. All 6 adult passengers will be seeking advice on compensation does anyone know where they stand I have read terms and conditions and cannot see anything related to this.

Edited: 11 August 2013, 12:19
37. Re: Dodgy practice on Olympic holiday Flights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 05:16