We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Alitalia airline

Madison, Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Topic
Avoid Alitalia airline

If possible, I suggest you avoid Alitalia. Here are few of my experiences. We were kept waiting for our flight for 1:20 , no reason given. Kept standing entire time, not allowed into seating area. Then delayed again for 20 more. Crabby gate attendants. Flight was to Chicago from Rome. Gate attendant spoke poor english. When lady with baby finally boarded the passengers cheered. Toilets on plane were dirty. My seat arm soiled underneath. Pretzels and drink handed out after 2 hours into flight, then 20 minutes later a meal came. Drinks were long gone. One flight movie at a time, in italian. No english dubbing. Attendants closed off an area and went to sleep. (not all of them). Passengers ringing for attendant, none available. Much more... just a gloss over of the circus of clowns. So you know.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Avoid Alitalia airline

"She also said that had our trip been two months later we would have received considerably more because the law in Israel has changed and the airlines must now pay additional compensation."

What does the law in Israel have to do with anything? Compensation regulations are EU mandated and they probably do entitle you to cash compensation and not to what the judge actually awarded you. Makes me wonder if the judge really understood the regulations.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Avoid Alitalia airline

I have no clue what went wrong in the first place or what the case was about,,,other than I assume a delayed or cancelled Alitalia flight.

Arad, Israel
Level Contributor
62 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Avoid Alitalia airline

We had an 11 hour delay causing 24 hour delay to our final destination. Whole story is at#25 in this thread.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
58 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Avoid Alitalia airline

You're a snarky lot! If the Italian government hadn't propped up the airline for years it would have gone bust years ago. m.youtube.com/watch…

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Avoid Alitalia airline

What does the law in Israel have to do with anything? Compensation regulations are EU mandated>>>>>>> The rest of the world has laws too. Your comment implies compensation isn't payable anywhere else in the world, which is dead wrong.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Avoid Alitalia airline

Thanks shahama. Out of curiosity, what did you ask for in terms of settlement?

Tadgehongkong...>>You're a snarky lot! If the Italian government hadn't propped up the airline for years it would have gone bust years ago. m.youtube.com/watch…<<

What does that actually mean? We all know the financials associated with the airline,,,does not mean they are not liable or don't have to perform....I had to google what " snarky " meant, and seemingly it means snide and sharply critical. People can only speak as they find. And I have found them to be a terrible airline. The fact they have huge debts does not make that ok.

New York
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Avoid Alitalia airline

I would definitely avoid Alitalia, unless you have no other choice. The customer service is terrible/non-existent. They bumped my wife and I from a flight. Told us we would get vouchers for credit for future flights and then never delivered anything. We have not been able to reach anyone at Alitalia who can respond to our inquries on the issue, even though we have the documetation that the woman at the gate provided. Their customer service is just an email address and they have not even responded to our emails. They are a lost cause.

Arad, Israel
Level Contributor
62 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Avoid Alitalia airline

Don't give up. First call a different number like ticketing and have them transfer you. You may have a problems in the next couple of days because almost all travelers to and from Israel have been stranded and now will be rebooking now that the ban has been lifted. Document everything you do, your original tickets, reservations etc. You can take them to small claims court. We did in Israel and won a small compensation but now would have received more since the law change to force higher compensation. In Europe the compensation would be about 600 Euros plus expenses and suffering. I think there is also something in the States. You can also sue via Europe. Google travelers rights Europe. Good luck.

Arad, Israel
Level Contributor
62 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Avoid Alitalia airline

Sorry I didnt see your message earlier. We asked for the EU rate (400 EU in our case)per distance plus expenses and suffering. We only got hotel and car rental expense times 2. That is because at the time we traveled, Israeli law did not reflect the EU law but that has since been changed and the judge said we would have received more had the dates been later.

Arad, Israel
Level Contributor
62 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Avoid Alitalia airline

We sued Alitalia in Israel where we live thus were subject to Israeli law. I think we could have sued them in Europe and received a lot more. At this time the Israeli law was changed and is similar to the EU.