We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USAir connecting to Asiana

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
USAir connecting to Asiana

I recently purchased a ticket on Orbitz from CLT to BKK. I will take USAir to JFK and change to Asiana. This is on one itinerary. I have researched how to get from one terminal to the Asiana terminal. My question is what happens if the USAir flight is delayed and I miss the connecting flight due to the delay. Do I need to deal with USAir, Asiana, or Orbitz? Thanks.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,882 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: USAir connecting to Asiana

USAir and Asiana are both in Star Alliance, so it's quite likely that you'll get a boarding pass at CLT (though go to an OZ desk at JFK to be sure). If you have the e-ticket/receipt, Asiana should help you at JFK should you miss the connection.

If you miss the connection, you'll be looked after and rebooked on a later flight with available seats, and if that's the next day you may get a hotel paid for. It may be a good idea to pack one change of clothes (better still two) in your carry on in case of this.

The biggest downside of missing the connection may be having to fly another airline to ICN and missing Asiana's (truly) awesome service.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: USAir connecting to Asiana

Hi,

I'll agree.. but I do want to stress two points raised by USBT..

#1) As to the notion of the hotel in the case of a missed connection.. Do know that US rules do not *mandate* this.. While some airlines will do so, commonly when the reason for the missed connection is the carriers fault, unless it's written in their legal Contract of Carriage, they are not *obligated* to do so.

So just be sure that *if* this were to occur you understand the difference between what is mandatory and what is optional.

#2) The re-booking... One of the issues with re-booking in your case is limited options.. If you miss the OZ 13:00 departure, there's not much left that goes (westward) to Asia and gets you into BKK that same day (which is technically +1 or barely +2 if just past midnight in BKK) ... JAL, Delta and Korean all have one-stop connections to BKK.. but they all leave JFK within one hour after your OZ flight-- so you'd need to be re-booked in advance and have to run it over to their departure gate in order to make it..

There are a few other options-- a later Cathay Pacific flight via HKG and China Eastern via Shanghai, but re-booking options are usually at the discretion of the carrier involved.

My gut tells me *if* you miss that OZ 1300 flight that unless you get lucky, you'll be in JFK overnight.. unless they route you eastward via Europe, I don't see a whole lot that you can get booked onto that gets you to BKK that same day/night.. So just be aware..

Travel Safe,

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: USAir connecting to Asiana

I believe we will make the connection, but I have never changed airlines on an international trip. Spending the night in NYC is not the end of the world, even if it is at my expense. But my understanding is as long as I check in on time with USAir to depart CLT, if there is an issue with the connection, Asiana will either put us on the next Asiana flight or reroute us on another carrier. Thanks for your help.

4. Re: USAir connecting to Asiana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 09:17