We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beware of luggage SIZE allowance ..not just weight!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
120 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
beware of luggage SIZE allowance ..not just weight!

I just flew from PHL to ORL, and, checked my LLBean rolling duffle. The check in attendant told me my bag was too Big! I was very confused, as, I travel with this bag all over the world. Another agent measured it, and, said it was ok. Later, after, going through security and waiting at the assigned terminal gate, this same agent, "found" me, and announced she was insisting my bag was oversized, and pulling it from the plane, and getting a supervisor to remeasure it. I watched, stunned, from the terminal window, as she and another woman marched out on the tarmack towards the plane. They appeared at the check in gate, (we were beginning to board), and, told me my bag was too big ..by about an inch..and, I had to pay $49.00!!

So, my message, here, is be aware of size allowance on Air TRAN.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,466 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: beware of luggage SIZE allowance ..not just weight!

Rules are rules seems to be the mantra. Yes, the rules are the rules and the airlines have a perfect right to enforce them, but there is such a thing as bending the rules for the benefit of the customer. Happens all the time in hotels, restaurants, finance, banking, stores, all kinds of places.

I worked for many,many years in a business where rules are rules, but employees were given authority to relax and bend the rules on occasion..it is called going the extra mile for the customer. It engenders good will and repeat business and usually costs the company very little.

The OP was charged for one inch over the limit. I think a trivial amount like that could easily be overlooked, and the OP could be told something like "I really should charge you..but in this case we are making an exception". That to me seems reasonable.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: beware of luggage SIZE allowance ..not just weight!

Three words: Low Cost Carrier

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: beware of luggage SIZE allowance ..not just weight!

<<the OP could be told something like "I really should charge you..but in this case we are making an exception". That to me seems reasonable.>>

So in that case, that should *always* happen on every flight, because its not as if they will remember next time, so he could do the same on all subsequent flights. (and has been I would think, even if unknowingly)

So, what if someone else's case was 1 inch bigger than his? Its "only an inch" more, seems unfair to penalise the person whose case is 2 inches over the limit when they let someone off whose case is only an inch less, after all, they are both still over the limit.

yes it seemed extreme to go and check, and that's a job that should have been done by checkin staff, but the OP has likely been skirting the limit for some time, and probably has gotten away with "in this case we are making an exception" many times, its just that no one ever told him that.

They have to draw the line somewhere.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,010 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: beware of luggage SIZE allowance ..not just weight!

"Yes, the rules are the rules and the airlines have a perfect right to enforce them, but there is such a thing as bending the rules for the benefit of the customer. "

I've got no problem with that. My problem is when people feel entitled to have the rules bend. If you've broken the rules and the airline won't make an exception for you, don't cry about it being unfair or unreasonable afterwards.

That's not directed at the OP by the way who actually seems pretty cool about what happened. Also I don't think the situation was handled very well in his case by the airline.

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
829 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: beware of luggage SIZE allowance ..not just weight!

Interesting experience, Philly. My wife and I have made over a half dozen foreign trips with our LL Bean duffels including legs on US carriers Continental, Jet Blue and United and never encountered any problems. We'll be careful if we ever have to take AirTran anywhere as they do serve Portland.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,890 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: beware of luggage SIZE allowance ..not just weight!

This would be a situation that I would write to the airline about. The bag was measured and found in the presence of its owner to be acceptable and no charge was due. The case should have been closed at that point (pun intended). The bag was then pulled out by a zealous airline employee and measured without the owner present. While "an inch" over is over, the measurement error on a soft duffle can be significant, and the face-saving bias of the airline employee would have to be taken into consideration in the measurement.

I hope you got their names. If not, It surely would appear in the airline system on your record. My advice is to pursue it with the airline.

47. Re: beware of luggage SIZE allowance ..not just weight!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 15:19