We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaysian Airlines Business Class - Awful food offerings...

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Malaysian Airlines Business Class - Awful food offerings...

I recently flew Business Class from Auckland to London. During the flight from Kuala Lumpur to Auckland, i was feeling hungry , so I asked for a roll or a sandwich. I was told , sorry sir, we only have peanuts or a biscuit,or maybe a left over danish pastry from brunch!

I think that this is a very poor offering for business class. What do you think? The other main meals were fine, but on an over 10 hrs day flight, I think this was inadequate, esp on a business class fare.

Also, when i checked in at Auckland, I was told that the business class lounge was closed and i was given NZ$30 voucher for refreshments to compensate! I also find this unacceptable to!!

What do you think?

Edited: 22 October 2011, 22:03
Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Malaysian Airlines Business Class - Awful food offerings...

As a very infrequent long haul traveller I have been following this thread with much interest.

Planning a holiday to Malaysia next year flying UK to KL. I thought Mas were a 'good' airline to use. Reading all of the posts it looks like we should probably use another airline.

Any recommendations welcome (we will be flying economy)

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,840 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Malaysian Airlines Business Class - Awful food offerings...

@foresthouse, glad you had a good flight(s) with MAS and lived up to your expectations in Business Class and you thought them as good as Qatar. I have certainly not been unlucky with flights on MAS, they have just gone downhill over the years and find them wanting in so many areas where other airlines have moved on with facilities and services. Having taken so many of then I have a lot of MAS flights to compare with.

With respect to Qatar, unless on one of the new MAS planes Qatar are streets ahead. The business class product is IMO far superior. But of course its all a personal preference.

Of course when travelling you can get a great flying experience with an airline one one flight and not on the next.

But I do think that regular travellers notice the differences more of how perhaps airlines have deteriorated in areas and others dont.

I dont travel on BA very often, but first flight in many many years last year and it was all good, fine, and so was the food on the whole, however I have friends/colleagues who travel with then regularly and do nothing but complain about slacking service etc. but mine was a one off.

sinbadone, there are others to choose from to fly to KL, but only MAS and Air Asia fly direct. Have a look at the middle eastern airlines for prices (I'm assuming economy) maybe try EK on the 380 from Manchester (but Emirates do fly from Glasgow)

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Malaysian Airlines Business Class - Awful food offerings...

I have emailed MAS ( on the recommendation of cabin crew too) and I will update the forum when I receove a reply. I did enjoy my trip immensley and I have been happy with MAS in the past. MAS normally offer very competitive rates on Business Class, so I am hoping for a positive response from them. Time will tell!

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Malaysian Airlines Business Class - Awful food offerings...

Scotlandscout...Thanks for the info. I think we would prefer to fly non-stop from whichever airline offers the best fares. Not doing this trip until next November so plenty time to decide.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,840 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Malaysian Airlines Business Class - Awful food offerings...

@sinbadone1, yes just helped you with hotel question for next year in the Malaysian forum!

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Malaysian Airlines Business Class - Awful food offerings...

Got it...Thanks.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Malaysian Airlines Business Class - Awful food offerings...

@ sinbadone1: Not sure if you're aware ... you can't fly non-stop EDI/KUL, you'll have to transit somewhere either in the UK (if you're looking at flying MH, it's from London Heathrow or AAX from Gatwick), the middle-east, or Amsterdam. But you can "limit" your stopovers to just one.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Malaysian Airlines Business Class - Awful food offerings...

Thanks. Yes I knew we would need to fly from elsewhere in the UK.

Does'nt matter whether it's LHR..Gatwick or Manchester. Just would like to fly non-stop. I had heard not so good reports about AA, and now it looks like Mas are not too good either.

It's along way away ( next November) so I have lots of time to research flights etc. All suggestions/ideas most welcome.

Again, thanks.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,840 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Malaysian Airlines Business Class - Awful food offerings...

If you going to look at Air Asia, take a look at the blogs that are out there

blog.airasia.com/index.php?disp=comments

along with others they will give you an idea of what they are like.

I have flown Air Asia not quite as much as MAS, but a lot, and find them fine (inc long haul back and forth to KL/UK in the old Air Canada planes) as well as in the SE Asia region as a whole.

As long as you work out all the costs against others and maybe get flights when there is a sale on, and read T&C'c you can save quite a bit at times, but not always.

They fly into the LCCT as opposed to KLIA (but share the same runway) which is not a problem for getting into KL itself.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Malaysian Airlines Business Class - Awful food offerings...

Scotlandscout...Thanks for the info on AA. I will for sure look closely at the cost and other factors when booking.

The flat-beds, hmm.