We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA domestic flight. Can I carry on a fruit pie?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,113 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Topic
USA domestic flight. Can I carry on a fruit pie?

I have searched through both the Alaska Airlines and the TSA websites and cannot find the answer.

I want to carry a fruit pie on a USA domestic flight - *not* to or from Hawaii - in my carry on bag so it won't get squished.

Anybody know if this is possible?

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: USA domestic flight. Can I carry on a fruit pie?

Hi, I've brought blocks of cheese in a cold-pak, onboard on domestic flights, several times. I simply hand them to the TSA personnel, and they examine them separately - no problems.

The TSA do relax when you're open & friendly with them. Chat with them about why the pie is so special, that you're carrying it all this way!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: USA domestic flight. Can I carry on a fruit pie?

Blocks of cheese are solid and can't be compared to a fruit pie.

13. Re: USA domestic flight. Can I carry on a fruit pie?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 October 2011, 17:18
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,113 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: USA domestic flight. Can I carry on a fruit pie?

I'm going to go for it - will let you know what happens ;-)

15. Re: USA domestic flight. Can I carry on a fruit pie?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 October 2011, 22:33
Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: USA domestic flight. Can I carry on a fruit pie?

Well I hope they let you take that pie to your Mother. She deserves it; it seems she raised a thoughtful kid. Good luck.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,796 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: USA domestic flight. Can I carry on a fruit pie?

"Blocks of cheese are solid and can't be compared to a fruit pie."

Ahh, one would think so, but...

They scan exactly like plastic explosive and *always* take extra explanation and inspection. As I am reminded of every time we bring a bucket load of Fritz Kaiser's cheese through security... without doubt one of the absolute best places in the world to get cheese. Truly amazing stuff.

Edited: 25 October 2011, 00:03
Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,796 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: USA domestic flight. Can I carry on a fruit pie?

Forgot the link... http://www.fkaiser.com

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,542 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: USA domestic flight. Can I carry on a fruit pie?

off the top of my head--if you are buying the pie have the receipt etc. in your bag. It is further proof ( maybe) that it is a real pie!

Yakima
1 post
Save Reply
20. Re: USA domestic flight. Can I carry on a fruit pie?

I bought some cheesecakes (mini) in Seattle and flew back to Yakima, Wa on Alaska and didn't have a problem getting thru security. I didn't ask them, but just ran them thru with the rest of my stuff. They were room temp at the time (so very squishy).