We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DO NOT USE Travelocity! You WILL be sorry!

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
DO NOT USE Travelocity! You WILL be sorry!

I needed to change a flight I booked with Travelocity last week due to a death in the family. After THREE HOURS on the phone with them, I finally gave up. Not only would they NOT change my flight (because they'd issued me a paper ticket, God knows why), but after they told me I'd get a credit to use later if I cancelled, they then added that I'd have to book the exact same combination of airlines AND pay them ANOTHER $150 to use the credit. I will NOT be sending them ANOTHER penny!!! If I'd just booked with the airline itself (which would have only cost $50 more) I'd have paid the $150 change fee and there would have been no problem.

90 replies to this topic
Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: DO NOT USE Travelocity! You WILL be sorry!

Don't you just love it when a poster complains about someone else's grasp of the English language when they cannot ever string a sentence together.

Jackie

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: DO NOT USE Travelocity! You WILL be sorry!

Why hyperbole in posts like this? OP could have a legitimate complaint, but has to start out by saying that, for sure, anyone who uses Travelocity will be sorry. Simply not true. You apparently felt you were due some flexibility due to a death in the family. I'm guessing this wasn't an immediate family member, else you would have said so. You felt this would make a difference with an airline? Do you have travel insurance? If not, why not?

If I understand your post correctly, both Travelocity and the airline would charge $150 to change your flights but Travelocity said you'd need to use credit for the same combination of airlines (and same flights?). Correct? Don't forget, once you pay even an airline a cancellation fee, the credit-- typically good for 1 year from the date of booking, in my experience-- is applied towards your new flight(s), but you'd have to pay any increase in fares, which can be substantial when trying to get a last-minute flight.

People do suffer such losses all the time, and if you look at sites like Cruisecritic, you'll see people lamenting not getting more flexibility. The subject of bereavement fares-- done away with by many arilines-- is another hot topic on that site, a well as others such as Flyertalk.

What did you finally do? Not fly home early because it of the principle of paying $150? I paid hundreds more on last-minute bereavement fares when my mother was dying. But, each person's situation is different.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,944 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: DO NOT USE Travelocity! You WILL be sorry!

<<<<< their customer service is based in India like their english is so bad

Maefesa2018.....I bet they were easier to understand than your post.

Edited: 18 May 2013, 17:53
Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: DO NOT USE Travelocity! You WILL be sorry!

Sutter, the OP was from October 2011. I believe they couldn't care less anymore.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,416 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: DO NOT USE Travelocity! You WILL be sorry!

Jackie +1. (And you put that so much more politely than I could have done....!)

26. Re: DO NOT USE Travelocity! You WILL be sorry!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 June 2013, 12:35

27. Re: DO NOT USE Travelocity! You WILL be sorry!

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

28. Re: DO NOT USE Travelocity! You WILL be sorry!

1 post
Save Reply
29. Re: DO NOT USE Travelocity! You WILL be sorry!

what then is the best option to book up a travel ticket to fly abroad?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,885 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: DO NOT USE Travelocity! You WILL be sorry!

ojobrujo, I will answer your question only once. Book directly with the airlines. That way, no middleman to have to deal with if something happens. If you can't book direct for some reason, use a reputable full service travel agent, not an online booker.

Reply to: DO NOT USE Travelocity! You WILL be sorry!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted