We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any views Samsonite Cosmolite or Titan X2 or Antler Liquis?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
179 posts
228 reviews
Save Topic
Any views Samsonite Cosmolite or Titan X2 or Antler Liquis?

We need new luggage for a big trip to Europe (well, big to us!), and plan to buy something light in about 74cm spinner style.

Recently, on another forum, I saw information that the Samsonite Cosmolite is made out of a material that is less likely to crack (especially at low temperatures).

The three cases that looked good in a local store were the Samsonite Cosmolite, Titan X2 and Antler Liquis - all around 3.4-3.9kg. The price differential was between $349 to $449, not important if quality is different.

Any owners of these brands care to comment on whether they would buy the same again? Any other brands to look at?

Thanks.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Any views Samsonite Cosmolite or Titan X2 or Antler Liquis?

Rimowa luggage is German

http://www.rimowa.de/main/langselect

Looking at luggage on airport conveyor belts, this appears to be quite robust. Also Samsonite salespeople warn warranty is for manufacturers defects, not airline abuse. All airline ground staff are rough with bags, so thats a big out. One would hope they design their luggage to withstand rough handling.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Any views Samsonite Cosmolite or Titan X2 or Antler Liquis?

We did well with a Delsey until it got dropped or whatever happened. The frame was a bit out of shape. We had a no. of diff. Samsonites over the years, none lasted very long. We now use Rimowa, the zip one. Very

sturdy cases. I was sceptical initially but they do well. I travel a lot. We also have Rimowa alu suitcases. One had a cut thru the metal after one trip. My choice would be the Rimowa with the zip. Sorry, cant remember the name. They come in diff. colors and have a rippled finish.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
749 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Any views Samsonite Cosmolite or Titan X2 or Antler Liquis?

I'm not sure about the warranty only covering manufacturers defects. They seem to have a pretty robust repair/replace system. I travel by plane probably at least a dozen times per year and always check my bag.

I just took my 3 year old bag (soft/hard sided) back to the store because the plastic hard side part was cracked. I filled out a form, they sent it back to Samsonite, and a few weeks later, they sent me a new bag. Apparently they couldn't repair the crack. The new bag was a soft sided spinner, can't remember the line, but it was certainly an equivalent bag to the one they replaced.

I took the bag to a Samsonite store, not sure if a different bag shop would handle this.

Edited: 07 August 2012, 14:47
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
749 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Any views Samsonite Cosmolite or Titan X2 or Antler Liquis?

I just checked the Samsonite web site; I'm pretty sure my new bag is a Silhouette (sp?)

London & Sydney
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Any views Samsonite Cosmolite or Titan X2 or Antler Liquis?

Late for this conversation I know but wanted to share my experience with Cosmolite. First trip, the hinge tore through, third trip the zipper unzipped and fifth trip the shell cracked. I took it to the Samsonite repair place the first two times and on the second trip a sympathetic staff member showed me out the back - a lot of broken, cracked, dezipped Cosmolites. Even repaired, I cannot trust this bag. I cannot give it to anyone I like and Samsonite will not replace it, so a throwaway.

A great idea but Samsonite/someone needs to do more work on it to make them sufficiently robust to stand up to the rigors of a flight.

In short, do not buy Cosmolites!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Any views Samsonite Cosmolite or Titan X2 or Antler Liquis?

I have travelled a bit with mine. I have had no problems. Probably about 30 flights. There are a lot of scratches on the outside, but no other damages. i am happy with mine. I purchased the largest one. I purchased it about 18 mths ago.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Any views Samsonite Cosmolite or Titan X2 or Antler Liquis?

Hi

I have a cosmologies bag and travel weekly it is great and handles all type of treatments well, never had problem with it, would highly recommend.

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Any views Samsonite Cosmolite or Titan X2 or Antler Liquis?

Hi Ortho85,

I would go with the the Samsonite Cosmolite Fl, this is the latest Samsonite range and is lighter and stronger than ever, it was only released last month from Samsonite. The Titan suitcases have actually been discontinued in Australia and the warranty is no longer honoured here so I would steer clear of that range if you can.

Cheers

Michael

TheLuggageProfessionals.com.au

Edited: 14 October 2013, 08:33
Penarth, United...
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Any views Samsonite Cosmolite or Titan X2 or Antler Liquis?

We've got a couple of Rimowas which are now 13 years old and have travelled hundreds of thousands of miles. They still look like new and we bought them because they were extremely lightweight. If they ever wear out, which it doesn't look like they will, they will be replaced with their latest model. Highly recommended.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Any views Samsonite Cosmolite or Titan X2 or Antler Liquis?

Yes we have four Cosmolite cases and two of the cases the zipper has gone. One we are returning and the other we had to abandon as was too risky to fly with. We will never buy them again. The weight is great but obviously a big problem with the zipper