We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible to not have turbulence on flights?

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Possible to not have turbulence on flights?

I do realise turbulence is out of the airlines' and pilot's control, it is just mother nature.

But even on a small 90 minute flight from NRT to ICN the other day, I had the worst time with all the turbulence. It was in a 777 so much smaller craft than what I am used to flying (A380), but I couldn't even eat my meal properly and had to hold the tray with my hands to stop it from falling on me. The woman next to me had her glass of orange juice fall on her lap and over some of my leg!

Is there no chance of feeling no turbulence on a flight? It would be nice if my 10hr flight from ICN to DXB tomorrow did not have the seat belt light come on at all during the trip...

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,387 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible to not have turbulence on flights?

In my experience turbulence is always a possibility - as you say mother nature at work.

On my most recent flight from NY to Manchester the cabin crew had to halt the breakfast service because of expected turbulence on the approach to Manchester (UK).

I assume there are flight paths and/or airports where turbulence is potentially more of an issue due to the normal weather conditions.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,167 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible to not have turbulence on flights?

"It was in a 777 so much smaller craft than what I am used to flying (A380),"

Sorry, this just gave me a chuckle...

uk
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible to not have turbulence on flights?

Yes, i've taken many flights with no turbulence but it is pretty impossible to predict if turbulence will be encountered.

I fly LHR to MAN and back 2 or 3 times a months, usually at the same times. Some flights are very smooth, others are so choppy they can't even do a drinks run. Luckily the first is the more common on pretty much all of the flights I've taken recently.

uk
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible to not have turbulence on flights?

"It was in a 777 so much smaller craft than what I am used to flying (A380),"

Sorry, this just gave me a chuckle...

------------------

Me too!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
22,349 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible to not have turbulence on flights?

The jury is still out as to whether this story from the OP is for real. From previous posts sounded too much like a school project.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,290 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible to not have turbulence on flights?

I'm still waiting for Clackers to be arrested for doing a milage run.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,415 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible to not have turbulence on flights?

Of course flights can be without turbulence.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,761 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible to not have turbulence on flights?

Hi,

Possible? Sure.. Likely? Hard to say.. The reality is that the largest driving factor is external weather conditions.. and that's not impacted by the aircraft type..it's largely uncontrollable..

Now, that said, each aircraft responds differently to turbulence.., and weight and such does matter to a small extent.. but so does piloting talent to the extent that they have the ability (and permission) to deviate around it as best as possible..

but in the end, it's the external operating weather conditions that are the single largest variable to a smooth ride or not.

Travel Safe,

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
22,541 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Possible to not have turbulence on flights?

Fly with Ryanair, I'm sure they will let you pay extra to book a turbulence-free flight .... :-)

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,897 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Possible to not have turbulence on flights?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who chortled about the triple 7 and A380

Edited: 29 October 2011, 16:11