We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mas from London

Perth
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Mas from London

I am looking to fly to fly to London next September with Mas and having a stopover In KL on the ways back .Have looked at a few recent reviews and they are quite mixed has anyone flown recently with them

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mas from London

Hi Perth Diamonds

We have flown with MAS on many occasions.They are up with the best asian airlines,service is fine.You can ask 100 people their opinion on airlines,and the opinions will vary wildly.They have won a lot of awards,so must do something right.

Sean

Australia
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mas from London

I love them and they are our normal choice of Airline. The mixed reviews as Sean has said can be peoples opinions.

I have so far flown with them for 3 trips (2 to Europe) with our 4th next May. Out of Airlines i have flown Singapore was probably the best with Malaysia just behind - however Singapore prices can be $500+ easily more expensive than a MAS economy fare.

I think the reason you get such a mix review from them is even though I believe their food etc are excellent, you sometimes can get GREAT crews and sometimes mediocre crews, which for us tends to be the Adelaide sector to KL whereas the Europe sectors have always been fantastic. If you can get optiontown upgrades to Business it makes MAS even better.

IMO MAS is awesome and we will fly them every chance we can get :D

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,917 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mas from London

Agree, you can get lucky and have a new plane with fabulous staff, then the next leg is older plane with medicore staff, or you might have the best experiance you have ever had.

I do think that sometimes folks expect to get business service in economy and then moan.

MAS has the largest pitch (space between seats), food is edible, IFE is watchable . . .. . . . but you just have to endure for 13 hours on the KUL to LHR leg!!

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,278 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mas from London

Everyone will have their own opinion of flying with any airline. Passengers can have good bad or indifferent experiences, be it with delays, good crew/bad crew, standard of food IFE and so on.

You will of course get different reports from people who dont fly that often, perhaps a couple of times a year or maybe have not many experiences of using many different airlines to be able to compare MAS with.

Those of us who have used MAS on a regular basis and are FF with them, be it for domestic, medium or long haul of course will all have different opinions on as well.

Class of cabin also generate different opinions, MAS certainly dont offer the same amenities that other airlines offer in business class and are poor in lots of ways. Economy is well economy, no matter who you fly with, but an extra inch or two does make a difference which MAS do offer on some aircraft.

Having used MAS in both economy, business, flown domestic medium and long haul with them (and to/from LHR many times), I have had good flights and not so good, food has constantly been a disappointment, sometimes inedible (even in business) and the planes on the whole are worn and have at times been dirty. Over the years the standards have slipped with MAS (but also have with other airlines) and Im sure that you have read Skytrax comments regarding this and I do agree with the comments posted. MAS have not kept up to speed with other airlines for what they offer and price wise they can be way to expensive and IMO do not warrant the 5*.

However when there has been a problem MAS on the whole have reacted well (sometimes after a lot of pressure), delayed/missed flights due to them I have been put up in a hotel, during the dreadful earthquake/tsunami in Japan MAS changed not only my departure airport from Tokyo back to KL but also the date, all very swiftly and without any problems. They have also never lost/delayed my luggage and got me to my destination safe and sound.

Just in case your interested the MAS, FF programme Enrich which is really very poor, but recently its been easier to use points and do everything online instead of having to contact local offices.

Also have a look at questions/answers etc on Flyertalk regarding MAS as well, this site is used mainly by FF and you will find out more about flying experiences with them.

So at the end of the day weigh everything up that suits you, price schedule, what you consider to be good/bad opinions and facilities.

But whatever/whoever you fly with enjoy!

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mas from London

we use them regularly. we do buy on price - which sometimes means using singapore although their flight times are not so useful.

overall - the ground services are very good. [see my post from earlier today]. we have never missed connections, even though they have been tight, and our luggage has always arrived with us. they have good sales and usually offer the best prices and timings for us.

on board, we usually notice the service is better outbound from london than on the return. there are more water/juice runs, ice cream and snacks are offered, the bar is better stocked and the f.a.s more cheerful. that said - we usually depart mid-morning from london and mid-night from k.l., so the difference could be as simple as that...

food is a mixed bag. generally, on the way out i find something to be edible, and snack-packs are available if not. on the way home, i need to expect to go hungry. i cannot eat fish on aeroplanes. i also try to avoid spicy. usually on the home-bound trip, the 'western' dish has been fish and the alternative is spicy. ho hum. even when we request 'no fish', the appetizer is usually fishy. never mind. it's a small thing. i do wish they would carry snack packs on the home run though.

singapore air still have a 'help-your-self' snacks and soft drinks service on long-haul, which works better for me.

i have found MAS's aircraft to be a bit old and tatty, but the washrooms are kept clean during the flight - unlike many other airlines. the service is overall better than most european airlines.

pam

6. Re: Mas from London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2012, 05:18