We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Pillow Advice

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Pillow Advice

Hi there, we are travelling to Goa next month and wondered if anybody had any advise re travel pillows. I'm not that keen on the inflatable ones but wondered if anybody has used the bean filled ones or the memory foam ones and which were best for them, many thanks

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Pillow Advice

Mrs joeintheuk likes the foam ones, though they take up a fair bit of space in her handluggage.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,875 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Pillow Advice

I've got a memory foam one and think it's brilliant. I find it squishes into any space in my carryon and then bounces right back into shape when I take it out. My husband has one filled with little beads - he doesn't like it and I tried it at home for a couple of minutes and I don't like it either (but it would be better than the inflatable kind, which are horrid and not worth the trouble of blowing them up).

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,253 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Pillow Advice

I hate airline pillows with a passion (hygiene wise they make my skin crawl as do blankets) so always use my own.

I have tried those bean filled ones, both the round the neck type and the small square ones. Round the neck type while better than the blow up ones I still found it uncomfortable and could not get any rest as I found the beans too rigid and solid, and even though I paid for a better quality one I did not like the material that was the cover. Thought they were expensive for what they were.

Have not used the memory foam ones so cannot comment on that.

So have resorted back to my small feather cushion/pillow (john Lewis) which are light and 'squash' into my hand luggage quite easy. I take a couple of fresh pillow cases with me and find them very comfortable...... could this be a comfort blanket perhaps!!!????

Everyone will have thier own preference.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,412 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Pillow Advice

Tons of posts in the Travel Gadgets & Gear forum here - just put the words "travel pillow" in the search box.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12530-Travel_G…

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
306 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Pillow Advice

I have a square bean filled one but I don't recommend it. It takes up space in your hand luggage and doesn't help that much.

albuquerque
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Pillow Advice

I tried the "Bucky" which is comfortable but way too heavy for me to drag around with me. I finally went back to an inflatable one and it's much better than the old inflatable I had.

The one I like is by Eagle Creek and has a very soft flannel cover and I can inflate to just the right firmness. Folds up flat in between uses and tucks into my purse or carry on.

7. Re: Travel Pillow Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2012, 06:18