We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meal vouchers due to missed flight

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Meal vouchers due to missed flight

A friend of mine is scheduled to fly from Kingston Ontario to Florida. It's a tiny plane from Kingston to Toronto, then he changes planes to get to Florida. It's all on one ticket with Air Canada, but he got the ticket through air miles.

He is very concerned that if he misses his connection in Toronto (it'll be winter so weather could delay his first plane), he'll end up stranded in Toronto. He claims that he's missed connections in the past, and Air Canada has never provided hotel or meal vouchers, and that he's had to fight to get put on a later flight.

My question is, does Air Canada have to provide meals and accommodation if a missed connection is not the passengers fault? Do they have to get the person on the next available flight?

Thanks.

ktown

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,224 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meal vouchers due to missed flight

If its weather related Air Canada are under no obligation to provide meals or accommodation.

If travel is on one ticket,then yes they will get you on the next available flight.That means next flight with seats,which could be next flight or next week.

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meal vouchers due to missed flight

Better make sure you have some money!!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
4,883 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meal vouchers due to missed flight

He may want to add their On my Way option

I am not sure if it cover weather related delays but worth checking first

<<<<On My Way service gives access to dedicated Air Canada customer service agents who will:

Rebook the first available flight on Air Canada or another airline

Provide complimentary hotel accommodations, car rental, ground transportation and meals

Receive automatic flight information updates by email and/or SMS

Full details on how to use On My Way will appear on the Itinerary/Receipt

Non transferable: can only be used by ticket holder

Once the ticket has been purchased, this option cannot be changed and is non-refundable >>>>

Edited: 09 November 2011, 04:58
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meal vouchers due to missed flight

How long is the connection?

He will clear US immigration, customs and security at YYZ, which will add about 30 minutes to the transfer time (my average).

Usually an award ticket is fully refundable and changeable, subject to availability of award seats. I know flights from Kingston are few and far between, so an earlier flight may be several hours earlier, but if he's really concerned ...

Otherwise that "On My Way" option may be a good idea (it's insurance, so in the majority of cases it's not needed, otherwise it wouldn't be offered).

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meal vouchers due to missed flight

Thanks everyone!

I'll pass that information along.

ktown

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meal vouchers due to missed flight

So my friend has decided to do something that is foolish in my opinion.

He plans to go to the Kingston airport the night before his flight to Florida and request to be put on a plane if seats are available at no charge. He talked with someone at the airport today who told him if seats were available that date she would do it - who knows if this is true or if this person will be working. If he can't get on a plane, he then plans to check into his flights at the airport, and then take a bus to YYZ and stay overnight in a hotel. He will then just throw out the boarding pass from Kingston, and board his plane at YYZ for Florida.

I've told him it's a bad idea because they may assume he's a no show since he's not getting on the flight from Kingston and cancel his spot on the flight to Florida. He says someone from Air Canada at the Kingston airport told him that he could do this with no problems.

I'm interested to see what happens with all this. He will be able to get right to the gate in Toronto because he will have a boarding pass, but I wonder if he'll be allowed on the plane.

ktown

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,395 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meal vouchers due to missed flight

"If he can't get on a plane, he then plans to check into his flights at the airport, and then take a bus to YYZ and stay overnight in a hotel. He will then just throw out the boarding pass from Kingston, and board his plane at YYZ for Florida."

Good luck with that. One thing you haven't mentioned is how long he has to make the connection. Otherwise it sounds like he has himself all worked up over something that "might" happen.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,864 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meal vouchers due to missed flight

Checking n for a flight does not mean that someone has made the flight. They could have been taken ill or simply changed thier minds. I would say that on a through connected ticket the reservations system will cancel the entire itinerary as a no show so it's not a good idea IMO. If he has been given avice by Air Canada on this I would get it in writing and at least the name of the person who informed him of this.

Also he was worried that if he did not make the connection on the same day then he would have to pay for meals and accomodation. However he now wants to jeapordise his entire journey and voluntarily pay for a bus, hotels and meals for something that might not happen.

Not at all logical or smart. Does he have learning difficulties?

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meal vouchers due to missed flight

No learning difficulties, just horribly stubborn. He won't listen to me. It's just a wait and see what happens now.

I told him to get it in writing as well, but they of course won't do that. This was supposedly just someone working at a counter at the Kingston airport who told him this.

I really hope they just get him on the earlier flight.

ktown

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,807 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meal vouchers due to missed flight

So, when he checks in, and then does not actually board the plane Air Canada will waste everyones time paging him, delaying the departure (possibly) , etc etc.

Clearly they will know he is not on the flight, and likely that will be it for him as his entire remaining part of the trip will be cancelled.

Why someone would book a flight, worry about it getting cancelled "in winter" and then take a multiple hour bus ride "in winter" on the 401 highway is beyond me.